Stop in Gongaga

Chapter 73

Kris' hands went to her shades before she could stop the gesture. She shared a look with both Genesis and Zack before she cleared her throat. This was not going to be a pleasant conversation. "Mom, Dad, before we do, there is something you need to know. A lot has happened, and I don't want you to freak out. Just know that I'm okay."

Both of them stared at her for a moment with concern. She finally sighed and pulled her glasses off. She tried not to let their horrified looks get to her, but she couldn't manage to stop her tears. Though, as soon as Sarah saw them, she moved to wrap Kris in a hug. "Shh, it'll be alright. We are here for you. Why don't you sit here and tell us what this is all about?"

Despite how worried she was about everything, Kris felt comforted by that embrace. No matter how nervous she had been, it was nice to know she did have a place to call home. She wiped at her eyes before she nodded and grabbed Genesis' hand. They all went to the table, and Sarah pulled out an extra chair. After they were seated, both Zack and Kris launched into the tale of everything that had happened over the last two months, including the return of Kris' memories.

-----------------------

To say that Sarah and Zeke were stunned once everything was revealed was an understatement. Still, both Zack and Kris were relieved when their parents' only response was concern. Kris almost felt like the weight of the world had been removed from her shoulders. Having them both reassure her that they never wanted to try and take the place of the father she lost, but they still considered her a Fair was the best thing she could have heard.

They had barely finished their tale before there was a knock at the door. They had all almost forgotten that there were three more guests expected. Sarah wiped the last of her tears away before she answered the door with a smile. "I suppose you are right on time, but I'm afraid we haven't finished dinner yet. Why don't you all three come in and wait while I get that done."

Kris stood to join her. "I'll help. The guys can all talk things out while we cook."

Sarah gave her a smile and a nod. All of the guests except for Reno looked slightly uncomfortable. Especially after Zeke stood and gestured for Genesis to follow him outside. Kris looked like she was about to follow them, but Sarah placed a hand on her arm to stop her. She shook her head and lowered her voice. "Don't worry. Whatever Zeke has to say won't be bad enough to run the fellow off. I can see that much just by the way he watches you when you aren't looking." She then smiled and squeezed Kris' hand. "I can't say that what you have said doesn't worry me, but at least I know you have someone out there that will stop the world to keep you safe if it comes to it."

Kris' resultant smile was bright enough to light up her face. Before they could move on to cooking, both their attention was drawn by loud laughter. Zack had given the others a quick tour, and something about the house had Reno laughing his ass off. He came out of the back room and grinned at Kris. "So, you had to share a room, eh? That wasn't uncomfortable?"

Kris rolled her eyes. "Don't think I've forgotten where you grew up. I'm sure if you had any siblings, it would have been the same. A person does what they have to, and trust me, I'm more comfortable with Zack then I would ever be with you."

Sarah gave Kris a questioning look at her harsh teasing, but it melted away when she heard the redhead laugh. She even smiled when she overheard his response. "Touché Fair. At least I know you have roots to keep you humble. I was a little worried when I heard about your upbringing, and the fact that you were engaged to Commander Cranky."