Home is Where the Heart Is

Chapter 89

The next two months were a special kind of torture for Kris. For the first week after she woke, she was not even allowed out of bed. Not that she was up to going far anyway. Finally, Rayleigh relented as long as she stayed within the area. It was still trying for Kris, but she also realized quickly that it was for the best. She tired easily. At least she seemed to be getting better with each day. She never said it aloud, but she hoped that she could at least get closer to how she had been after the baby was born. Otherwise, she might lose her mind.

Genesis was not much better. It had been decided that it would be best for Kris to stay in the infirmary instead of returning to the house Zack still lived in, or with Genesis. Though he did visit every day. He wasn't the only one, either. Sarah spent a lot of her time with Kris, though not as much as she did before her daughter woke. Despite Kris' reassurances that everything would be fine, the older Fair had decided to stay until the baby was born. Zack was there as often as he could be, and surprisingly so was Reno. What really shocked her was the fact that the President checked on her at least a few times. Most of the others didn't understand that one at all, bur Kris took it in stride. Rufus was not the man that he could have become.

-----------------------------------

Kris was approximately twenty-six weeks along when she finally went into labor. Rayleigh had already been appraised at the fact that it was likely she would not go to full-term. That didn't keep the young woman from being on edge during the whole process. As for Genesis, he was a wreck. Especially when the labor lasted well over twenty hours. He was sure something was wrong, no matter how often he was told everything looked good.

Everyone breathed a sigh of relief when it was finally over, and Kris gave birth to a whopping eight-pound baby boy. At least whopping for her tiny frame. The only thing that marred the occasion was the sight when he first opened his eyes. Instead of onyx, or even blue, he had the same swirling depths that Kris had. It was difficult to know he would always be different, but not unexpected.

The only other snag came when it was time for them to list his name. They had discussed the issue many times, but could not come to an agreement. Genesis was nearly insistent that he wanted to make a grand gesture and have their son named after Kris' father. However, she vetoed that suggestion immediately. He didn't understand what she meant when she said Godric was just too Harry Potter, but he finally quit arguing. They eventually settled on Zane a couple of days after the birth.

They ended up keeping Kris and Zane for a full week after the birth. She was more than ready to leave when they signed the papers. Though she had to laugh at the look Genesis gave the professor when she told them he had to keep his hands to himself for at least another five weeks.

Sarah ended up going home after they were released. There were lots of tears and promises to visit. Even Genesis agreed that they would not be strangers. They had to get both families together before the wedding, after all. And he did still plan to get married as soon as they could get the arrangements made.

All-in-all, life was almost more hectic than it ever had been. Even though she was now living with Genesis, they rarely ever ate dinner alone. If Zack wasn't visiting, then it would be Angeal or Sephiroth. It was a whole new thing for her, but despite the stress of being a new mother, she couldn't complain. She had never been happier.

---------------------------------

It was nearly two months before Kris started feeling more like herself. She had managed to find a sling for Zane, and she started going for walks inside the building, at least. Things were still not settled, but the protests were no longer held, and the company was refocusing on building a better and more sustainable global policy. The war in Wutai had been stopped. The Emporer had been shocked at the offer of a peace treaty between the two governments but was glad to sign it all the same. Especially as he had not had to give any concessions.