Time to Decide

Chapter 84

The next morning, Sephiroth was the first to go check on Kris. He was unsurprised to find both of the other men still in the room. Zack had fallen asleep in the chair next to his sister with his head pillowed on his arms at the foot of the bed. Genesis was up and pacing. His head shot up at the sound of the door opening, but he quickly turned to keep going when he saw who it was.

Sephiroth didn't need to ask anything since Genesis spoke up before he could. "There has been no change. We've made sure she got the tea down, and she has been peaceful, but hasn't woken."

The General didn't say anything at first. Instead, he stopped Genesis with a hand on his shoulder. "Did you get any rest? It won't do anyone any good if you are down as well."

Genesis scoffed at the idea of falling for any reason, but he took a moment before he responded. His voice was quiet. "Zachary convinced me to at least lay my head down for a few hours. He just went to sleep himself a little over an hour ago."

As though the sound of his name was an alarm, Zack sat up and blinked back the sleep. He didn't even turn to see what had wakened him before he was bending over Kris to check on her. Though, he did stand and turned when Genesis called out. "She is still resting peacefully." Zack gave him a frown, but it turned into a sigh when he saw Sephiroth as well.

Now that both men were up, Sephiroth felt the question they were all wondering could be addressed. "Have you decided what needs to be done?"

Zack sighed, and Genesis ran a hand down his face before he answered. "We are going back to Midgar."

Sephiroth gave him an understanding look, though he did still have a question. "I am not surprised by that choice, but are you sure? We might be able to make the things here work."

Zach's eyes hardened as he answered. "We both talked about it a lot last night, and we came to the same conclusion."

Genesis smoothly took over at that point. "Yes, we do not doubt the midwife's capability or her knowledge of what mako exposure can do. However, there are a few things that she didn't know. First, Kristobel is no ordinary woman, and her issues are not due to mako. She has proven many times now that her constitution is hardier than we could believe. Secondly, our child is a mix of both of us: my genes and hers. As much as I hate to think about it, the fact that our child will be born enhanced is unavoidable. However, that also means it is doubtful that things would go wrong so easily."

Sephiroth's look turned contemplative for a few moments. He then gave them both a nod. "I understand. I will say that it would be best for us all to be prepared for the worst, but your hope is not unfounded."

Both the other men gave him glares, but Genesis' next words were for Zack. "Stay here in case she wakes. I will go speak to Rufus so that we may leave."

Zack's brows drew down slightly. "Are you sure?"

Genesis wasn't exactly smiling, but his eyes also did not hold disdain when he looked back at the boy. "Yes. You are far from ready to handle a Shinra yet. I will make sure we leave before noon." Zack gave the Commander a salute before both the other men turned to walk out.

When they got downstairs, they heard several voices coming from the dining room. Neither of them were shocked to see all the Turks plus Rufus. Genesis didn't wait for their greetings before he spoke. "Good, with you all here, it should be a simple task to get started. It would be best if we could leave before noon."

Veld stepped forward with a frown, but Rufus ignored him and answered as though the Commander's actions were not rude. "I have already had Reno prep the helos. Something told me that would be your decision. Still, there are a few things we need to discuss before we leave."