Unexpected Addition

Chapter 68

Kris had never been so happy to see solid ground when they finally landed. As soon as Genesis helped her from the helicopter, she stretched and almost wanted to dance. She was stopped when she caught sight of four men walking their way. Three of them were unexpected, and one of them was far too familiar. Thankfully the group had the foresight to make sure she was wearing shades before they landed as Reno called out to them.

"Hey, lookie who it is! The Fairs! How's it goin'?"

Both siblings froze. Even though the redhead was their friend, neither was sure what to say. Not only had so much changed in such a short time, but two of the men accompanying their friend didn't look so friendly. Thankfully, Reno didn't seem fazed by their silence as their group finally drew even with the helipad, and the young blonde in front addressed them.

"Tseng, Veld has made me aware of everything. What I would like to know is why I should allow any of you to leave this place alive?"

At his words, all four of the Soldiers suddenly shifted to push Kris behind them and had their weapons out. Tseng rolled his eyes at the actions, and Kris sighed. The Vice-President looked on with interest before he turned back to his subordinate. "I see you were not exaggerating. What is it about her that causes that reaction?"

Kris made a frustrated noise as she tried to push her way through the human barricade. She finally succeeded when she poked her brother in the spot she knew would make him jump. He gave her a betrayed look when she slipped through the space it created. She ignored it as she faced the group in front of them.

She gave the young man a respectful nod before she spoke. "Vice-President Rufus Shinra. I suppose it isn't really a surprise to see you here. As for their reactions, two of them are easy to explain as one is my brother, and the other is my fiancé. The other two are not that much of a stretch if you really did read the report."

He raised a brow at her. "Fiancé? Well, that is news, but not really that important. What I want to know is why I should put my plans at risk to follow your advice? What is the point?"

Kris felt herself frowning, and her eyes flicked back to a scowling Veld. She wasn't sure if he was scowling at her or his young Vice-President, but it didn't matter. She took a deep breath to steady herself but paused as Genesis stepped next to her. She shook her head at him when it looked like he might interrupt. He scowled at the motion but thankfully didn't say anything.

Kris turned back to Rufus with a blank face. "You want a valid reason, I can give you several. Let me lay them all out for you in terms you can understand. First, I know you had planned on allying with Avalanche to eliminate your father, but their goal is not just to take him out. Fuhito wants to eradicate all human life on Gaia so the planet can rejuvenate. He would have betrayed you."

There were several gasps, and Veld gave her a hard look. Rufus' only response was to raise a brow. "That would have been unfortunate, but it would not have stopped me. Your warning is noted, but hardly worth my time. What else?"

Kris' eyes flashed, and her jaw clenched, but this was what she had been raised for. She smirked at him as she continued. "Please, I was just getting started."

Despite her response, he only motioned for her to continue. "When you do take control of the company, there are a few things you should know. First-"

He cut her off at that point. "When? Not if?"

She lifted one brow and gave him a disdainful look. "If we are to keep the company from collapsing, it would make sense to ensure we have a stable hierarchy in place. Why would we seek to destabilize the world economy?"