Still Under the Influence

Chapter 78

The next morning Kris woke to a dark world. She sighed as she made her way out of bed and got ready for the day. She wondered briefly if her internal clock would ever be back to normal. Although, her thoughts about herself quickly fled when she felt a faint cramp in her abdomen. She rubbed her belly as she thought of everything that had happened. She had no idea what to expect out of pregnancy, but the pain had her worried. Especially after all the stress and running the day before.

Thankfully, it passed quickly and did not come back. However, her thoughts of what had caused it had her immediately heading down to the basement. She was just thankful that no one else seemed to be between the room she used and the stairs.

She hesitated at the top when she remembered the other things that could be down there, but then she remembered that at least one other person had to be in the lab, as they were taking turns staying with Angeal. At least she had a light this time, even if it wouldn't do her much good against a monster.

She pushed those thoughts aside as she descended into the dark. She was heartened by the fact that the stench was not as putrid as it had been the day before. Not that it was okay by any means. The rambling in her head about the smell took her all the way to the room at the end of the cave.

She pushed the door slowly until it was halfway open. She then chastised herself for the action and strode the rest of the way in confidently. She stopped in the middle of the room with a frown when she didn't see anyone other than Angeal. Her heart ached at the sight of him slumped against the inside of the tank. She sent up a quick prayer that they would be able to let him out soon.

Someone must have heard the heartfelt wish because Angeal sat up before she even made it to the tank. He blinked owlishly before he looked around. His confused gaze snagged on Kris as he pushed himself up with a groan. His voice was hoarse. "What happened? Where am I?"

Kris nearly felt her knees give out with relief. She immediately moved to the control panel that would open the tank as she tried to answer. "I'm glad you're back! Give me a-"

She was cut off when a hand came down over hers. She nearly screamed in shock but managed to hold it in when she saw it was Vincent. She wasn't given a chance to ask what he was doing before he spoke. "Wait. Look closer."

Her brows furrowed, and she nearly chastised him, but something in his tone caused her to look back toward the man in the tank. She had not gotten a good look at his eyes before, but she gasped when she saw that his pupils were still slit. At the sound, Angeal smirked at her. It quickly morphed into a snarl. "I almost had you, didn't I? It's too bad you weren't alone."

Kris felt tears pooling in her eyes. The little bit of hope she had that Angeal was back to himself was shattered, and she could not stop the overwhelming despair. It was only a moment before it changed into rage. She closed the distance and slammed her palm on the glass. "Get out of his head, you bitch!"

Angeal chuckled darkly. "That is like screaming at the wind. Your lies have no more effect on me. I understand what Jenova wants now, and I will help her achieve it. This prison will not hold me for much longer, and when I'm loose, this world will know her glory once more."

Kris slammed her hand against the glass again in frustration, but she didn't get to do more. Vincent took her by the shoulders and gently turned her around. She allowed him to take her into the other room where at least she couldn't see her friend's face with that evil smirk.

He guided her to sit in one of the chairs before he turned to face her. For once, she was grateful for his even tone. It helped her to calm. "Do not despair. He is secure for now, and you said it yourself; they are working to destroy the alien. It is only a matter of time."