What Was Lost...

Chapter 49

Angeal made a point of seeking out one of the female scientists to help them when they took Kris up. With how she had been acting right before she passed out, he had a feeling that was the wisest course of action. Luckily, Professor Rayleigh was on hand and was happy to help.

Kris ended up staying in the infirmary for a couple of days. She had woken not long after she was brought in, but she started screaming and thrashing almost immediately. Despite Zack's pleas, they ended up sedating her and restraining her to the bed. That fact ensured that she couldn't hurt herself or anyone else, but it made the next time she woke even worse. When she realized she couldn't move, her screams were hysterical, and she ended up causing the skin under her restraints to be torn as she fought against them.

Rayleigh ended up having a nurse watch the girl around the clock to make sure that either she was sedated immediately if she woke again, or, as they all hoped, that she would eventually come back to her senses.

--------------------------

It was the end of the second day when Zack was visiting once again, and Kris woke up lucid for the first time. She had started pulling against her restraints, and she was calling out for help with panic in her voice, but she didn't sound hysterical. Zack and the nurse both jumped up as soon as she started moving. When Kris saw them, she flinched back but stilled instead of fighting. The nurse called out and got her attention. "Miss Fair, you are restrained because there was fear that you might hurt yourself. I would be happy to remove them if you could answer some questions for me."

Kris eyed the woman for a few seconds before she tried to answer. Her voice came out gravelly at first, so she cleared her throat and tried again. "What do you need to know?"

The nurse smiled and pulled a chair closer so that Kris wouldn't have to keep looking up at her. "Nothing that should be difficult. Can you tell me your name?"

Kris' eyes lost focus and then zeroed in on Zack standing nervously behind the nurse. When their eyes caught, she started crying. "I am Kristobel Fair."

The nurse hadn't missed the way the girl reacted to her brother, but the tears seemed more relieved than fearful. If they got worse, she would ask the boy to leave. "Good, can you tell me the last thing you remember?"

Kris was still looking at Zack when she answered. "Everything."

Zack's eyes widened as he took in her meaning, but the nurse was giving her a confused look. "Can you clarify that a little more?"

Kris finally looked back to the nurse with a frown. "The last thing I remember was Zack and Commander Hewely telling me that Genesis was dead."

The nurse flinched a little at the matter-of-fact way Kris said those words, but it was enough to prompt her to loosen the restraints. Kris sat up and scooted into the corner before she pulled the pillow in front of her like a shield. The nurse frowned at the action but stood. "I will inform Professor Rayleigh that you are awake and lucid." She paused and looked at the way the siblings were staring at each other before she continued. "Do you feel alright with Soldier Fair staying?"

Kris frowned at the nurse for several moments. There was still so much that she was trying to sort through, that she didn't want to talk to anyone, but the way Zack was looking at her made her remember all they had shared. She finally nodded. "It'll be fine."

Once the nurse was gone, Zack tentatively moved to take the chair the nurse had been using. He started to reach out for Kris, but she moved before he could touch her. He gave her a hurt look before he could control it. When Kris saw it, she sighed and gave him a confused look. "Zack, you won't ever betray me, right? You wouldn't hurt me?"

Zack didn't know how to respond, and he couldn't keep the hurt from his voice. "I'm sorry that it was me that told you about Genesis. I just thought it would be better than you hearing it from a stranger. You know I would never hurt you on purpose."

Kris started crying again and finally moved so she could hug him. "I know you wouldn't. I'm sorry. This isn't about Genesis."

Even though Kris had started crying again, Zack was glad that she wasn't pushing him away. He let her cry on his shoulder for a few moments before he pushed back. "Do you really remember everything?"

Kris grimaced and gave him a nod. Zack wasn't sure how to feel about her answer. Especially since it seemed to be causing her even more pain. He still tentatively spoke up. "Is there someone that you want me to call for you, someone that might be missing you."

He nearly jumped out of his skin when she grabbed his arm in a vice-like grip to keep him from moving. "No!" When she realized how her vehement denial had shocked him, she let go with a sigh. "There is no one."

Zack didn't believe that for a second, but the memories of how she was found came back, and he thought better of pushing. Even if there was someone, it might be best that they believe her to be dead. He still had so many questions, even without pushing on that subject. He didn't get a chance to ask them as the Professor came in.

"Hello, I am Professor Rayleigh. It good to see you up and aware."

Kris eyes the woman with trepidation. "Professor, not doctor?"

Rayleigh didn't seem to take offense at the question. "Well, I do have medical training. Most of us do."

Kris looked like she wanted to run, but she forced herself to stand and face the woman. "The rest of you? As in Professors Hollander and Hojo?"

The woman raised a brow at the question. "Yes, they are the top minds in our department, but they are a bit busy to see to something as simple as a breakdown from shock and emotional distress."

Kris actually relaxed at the woman's words. "Of course. I was only checking something. I did not mean to imply that I felt your treatment of me was lacking."

Rayleigh raised a brow at the woman's stiff response but didn't mention it. Instead, she shooed the boy from the room and proceeded to check Kris over. Once she was done, she signed on the release and gave her a small bottle with a handful of pills. Kris looked at it questioningly. Rayleigh smiled. "They are for your anxiety. Your reaction was one of the worst I've seen. You seem fine now, but if you feel like it starts to become overwhelming again, then take one of those. It will help."

Kris fought to keep a grimace off her face. The news about Genesis had been a catalyst, but not in the way everyone seemed to think. There had been a barrier in her mind that had broken as memories of her previous life refused to continue to be ignored. As much pain as she had been in at the thought of Genesis being dead, that was nothing to the pain of her memories returning. There was a good reason they had been blocked.

Still, she gave the woman a nod and thanks as she made her way out to where Zack was waiting. He gave her a tentative smile that she returned as he walked with her out of the building and to the train. As soon as they got home, Kris made her way to her room. She stopped with one hand on the door and turned to see Zack watching her with worry. She tossed the stuff in her arms on her bed before she went back into the living room and gave him a hug.

He was smiling when she let him go, and it was a little easier for her to respond in kind as she spoke. "You know tadpole, I don't think I can ever thank you enough."

He grimaced at her use of the nickname that she had been using since they were younger but raised his brow. "You don't have to thank me for anything. That's what family is for."

She started crying as soon as he said it, but still managed to give him a weak grin. "I know, but you will never know... when you found me, you saved me in more ways than one. I don't think I could have made it near as well if I didn't have you here with me."

Zack suddenly realized that she was talking about her recently returned memories and pulled her in for another hug. "I'll always be here for you, sis. Don't forget that."

She started crying harder, and he let her. As strong as his curiosity was, there was no way he was going to force her to talk if it caused this much pain. When she pushed back again. She gave him a nod. "I need some time. I'll talk about it eventually, but I still need to sort it all out." He gave her a nod as she walked back into her room.