A Decision Made

Chapter 53 

Kris' eyes jerked to where Sephiroth was frozen and clutching his head, and understanding dawned on her. "You are saying that somehow I can change the influence Jenova has on him?"

The Goddess nodded. "Not only him, although he is the most urgent. If we do not act, the others may be able to restrain him until you find a solution, or none of you may make it out of this cavern alive. Either way, my presence has alerted the Calamity to a possible thorn in her side. Also, know this, If you choose to help, you will be altered. There will be no going back."

Kris took a step back and shook her head. She had no idea why it was she being offered the choice. She currently barely felt up to handling herself. Her doubt showed in her voice. "Why does it have to be me?"

Minerva looked at her for a moment before she pointed to the others. "Two of the champions are no better off. It will only be a matter of time before the dark harbinger finds her way into their minds as well. Out of the other two, one has hardened his heart. It is not made of stone, but he will need to relearn flexibility. It will not come easy. The last is an innocent. Despite his travels, he has yet to be tainted by hardship. He could not understand what is needed."

Kris closed her eyes and felt a tear fall. She had already known she would say yes. She just hoped she would be enough. She opened her eyes and nodded. "What do I need to do?"

Minerva put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "Even in this place, I only have limited influence on the surface of Gaia. For my will to be done, I require a conduit. You would serve that purpose."

Kris swallowed. That sounded ominous. "What does that mean?"

"Exactly how it seems." Minerva paused and tilted her head slightly. "I will warn you that it will be painful. Do you still agree?"

Kris could feel herself shaking. She was still learning to deal with the memory of her past torment, and the idea of willingly allowing another to cause her pain nearly made her vomit. Despite how much she loved Zack and Genesis, she almost ran. She took a deep breath and turned to look at all of them. Their faces were frozen in looks of concern. Even Genesis. Seeing Zack and the memory of what would happen to him if she didn't act was what finally made her turn back to face Minerva.

Tears were streaming down her face, but her voice was steady. "Tell me what to do."

Minerva graced her with a peaceful smile. "You must make contact with his skin and do not let go, no matter what."

Kris gave her a nod and walked over to the man that she had considered a friend. She may not have been as close to him as the others, but he was just as deserving of a second chance. She kept those thoughts in mind as she placed a hand on each side of his face.

Once she was in place, Minerva called out a reminder. "Make certain you will not slip." Kris nodded without looking back and pressed in tightly. She knew it would probably be uncomfortable in the best of circumstances, but she had a feeling that was going to be the least of his worries. Once she was sure that her hands would not slip, she gave another nod, and all hell broke loose.

Genesis, Zack, and Angeal had been next to Kris, but suddenly, she was standing across the room and holding onto Sephiroth. None of them had time to try and process the change before they watched in horror as the Goddess hefted her spear and plunged it into Kris' back. They immediately sprang to try and stop whatever was going on but ran into an invisible barrier after only a couple of steps. Zack took out his sword and started trying to cut into it, with little success. His voice was breaking as he watched the scene in front of him. "Kris!"