Facing the Facts

Chapter 57 

Once the two of them were dressed, Genesis led her downstairs. It was already midmorning, so they assumed the rest of their group would have already gone down for breakfast, at least.

Despite the gravity of their earlier conversation, Kris was in a shockingly good mood. Between their activities and knowing that Genesis really did want to marry her, she felt like she was floating on air. Even if she hadn't really answered yet, she still felt warm and fuzzy, knowing he wanted her. She tried not to think about how contradictory that line of thinking was.

She smiled and waved as they walked into the dining room, and everyone was there, including Angeal, and Genesis' parents. "Good morning!"

She took a step back when everyone turned to her, and their eyes widened. She almost turned and ran when Sephiroth suddenly stood and grabbed her arms. He looked down at her intently. At least he was gentle. His voice was low and full of an unnamed emotion when he spoke. "This is my fault, isn't it?"

Kris gave him a confused look. She had no idea what he was talking about. At least not until Genesis spoke. "Unhand her. Can't you see you're scaring her? Besides, she told us she would explain this morning once she was rested."

Kris' confusion instantly turned to resignation. The real world had finally come crashing in and would not be put off longer. She patted Sephiroth's arm when he let her go. "It isn't your fault at all. It was my choice."

Sephiroth gave her a confused look, but Genesis spoke up again. "Kristobel, why don't you get something to eat and then we will go over everything."

She gave him a questioning glance, but he only pointed at the table where there were still several items waiting. The sight of it had her stomach reminding her that it had been some time since she ate, so she sat and helped herself.

Most of the people around her were watching with apprehension, and it made her nervous. She was thankful when Zack sat beside her with a grin. "So, sis, you were in an awfully good mood when you came in at least. I'm glad to see it. It's a big change from last night. What happened?"

Kris froze with a piece of toast halfway to her mouth. She could feel her face heat, and laughter starting to bubble up. She put the toast down slowly and turned to look him in the eye. "Tadpole, one of these days, you are going to learn to not ask questions you don't want the answer to."

He gave her a confused look that bordered on hurt, but it didn't last long. He jumped up and back and tried to cover his eyes and ears at the same time. "Oh, man! Why'd you have to say that!"

Kris quit trying to stifle her laughter at that point, and Zack glared at her. The interactions between the siblings seemed to break the pall on the rest of the room, as well. As Zack was still mumbling under his breath about trying to clean that image from his mind, a beautiful woman approached Kris with some trepidation and sat on her other side.

Kris gave her a curious look, but neither of them got to speak before her attention was jerked to where Genesis was talking to Tseng in low tones. Kris stood so fast the woman gasped. Kris spared her an apologetic glance but turned immediately. "Genesis, don't!"

He frowned at her, and she shook her head. "Don't. I asked you to let it go."

His eyes widened as he had not expected her to be able to hear him from across the room. His shock quickly gave way to anger. "I swore I would not speak of it in front of you, not that I would let it go."

She ignored the looks on the others as she stalked to where he was. "There is nothing you can accomplish besides dragging it out. He is out of your reach!"