Home Again

Chapter 87

When the ferry that held the remaining four people finally arrived in Junon, they had an entourage waiting for them. A medical transport vehicle was there with the doors open. Zack and Reno were also there. The rest of the group was still waiting at the hotel for news while they completed the last of the plans that needed to be implemented before they left the port town.

Genesis was on edge during the trip from the docks to the hospital. His stubbornness and meticulous attention to detail seemed to have worked so far. Kris had still not woken, but she had not shown any signs of distress since that first day. That didn't mean his mind was at ease. It took every ounce of his training to keep from blowing up everything in sight out of sheer frustration and worry.

His attitude was not improved when they arrived at the hospital. The staff had taken Kris in immediately, but they refused to let any of the others come back. That didn't stop Genesis from trying. He was only halted because Zack and Angeal stood in the way. He nearly punched them both but managed to keep from it. Part of it was his newfound understanding with the Puppy, but the rest was the thought of what Kris would say if she found out about it later. He had no desire to fight with her as soon as she woke. Of course, that didn't mean he wasn't planning to let her know exactly how reckless she had been, but it could wait. At least for a short while.

Sarah had already been waiting there, as she felt she would have been in the way on the trip from the docks. She stood silently to the side and watched as her future son-in-law started pacing immediately. She went to him and put a hand on his arm when he passed close to her. Genesis stopped with wide eyes that quickly changed to a deep frown. The Fair matriarch understood the expression well enough. She didn't have a smile to give him, but she squeezed his arm in understanding before she went to her son. The two of them sat together while they waited for news.

It was two harrowing hours later before the doctor finally came out to speak to them all. He headed straight for Genesis, but that didn't keep the others from crowding around as well.

The man that approached them was the same one that had seen Kris the last time they were in Junon. His frown was pronounced as he spoke. "First, I'll let you know that the baby is fine. More so than expected, even. I assume the unexpected amount of growth since the last time you were here has a lot to do with Miss Fair being able to keep her food down."

He paused at that point to let the news sink in, though he wasn't shocked that none of the gathered people looked any less tense. Not yet. He swallowed a sigh before he gave them the rest of the news. "I was briefed on the fact that Miss Fair had been exposed to mako. I will say that we did find more than acceptable levels in her blood, so her coma does seem to be related. However, I have never seen quite that reaction to exposure before."

Genesis took a step closer and glared at the man. "What do you mean? What is wrong with her?"

The doctor took a few steps back and held up both hands. "Other than the mako in her system, I can find nothing wrong with her—that, and her eyes." He paused once more and looked around at all the men before he lowered his voice and continued. "Are you certain there was nothing else you noticed? Anything to help me better diagnose her."

Zack sent a furtive look to the others, but the rest managed to curb the urge. It was not something they could share. It wasn't like there was a precedence for being possessed by a deity. It was doubtful that the doctor had the knowledge to deal with that. Genesis finally shook his head. "No, that is all the information we have for you. What is your diagnosis?"

The doctor ran his hand down his face with a sigh. He wasn't stupid enough to not know they were hiding something, but there was little he could do about it. He then shook his head. "I would say that she should be kept for observation. However, we don't have long-term facilities here. Soldiers and infantrymen are sent back into the field as soon as they can move."