Man or Monster

Chapter 51 

Kris had been brief when she explained where Genesis was. Any other questions they had, she flatly refused to answer. Part of it was the fact that she wanted them to hear it straight from Genesis since they would be more likely to believe him, but the rest was simply that she couldn't bring herself to talk about it. It was a constant struggle for her to keep her recently unlocked memories out of the forefront of her mind. If she let them have free rein, she doubted she would be able to do more than curl in a corner and cry.

The constant effort had her on edge. Even Tseng gave her questioning looks a time or two, and Reno didn't say anything after his first comment on how good she looked in the suit. She felt the worst for Zack, but at least he seemed to be understanding. She knew it would help her to talk about everything, but it would have to wait. She couldn't afford the downtime yet.

Despite the limited information she gave them, Tseng agreed to go with her to Banora, where she claimed Genesis was in hiding. It took more effort to convince both Sephiroth and Angeal to go as well, especially since the war effort was already on hold due to Genesis' absence. Her flat refusal to share anything until they agreed was the only way she was able to get them to go along with her.

Kris wasn't so sure about Zack coming as well since she had a feeling the meeting was going to be painful all around, but her brother had insisted, and Angeal had agreed. Since Kris had no real control over that side, she couldn't refute him. Plus, a part of her was glad that he would be there. She could use all the emotional support she could get.

Once everything was agreed on, it only took them a half-day to prepare everything. That meant by that same evening, the team was on a helicopter and headed east. It wasn't until they had been in the air for nearly an hour that Kris called out to Tseng over the comms. "You were incredibly accommodating. Why did you agree so easily?"

Though Tseng was piloting, and she couldn't see his face, she could still hear the hint of humor in his voice. "We already had intelligence that he might have retreated to Banora. Your insistence was simply confirmation."

Kris snorted. "Figures." That was the last of their conversation.

It ended up taking them several days to get there, even with Tseng and Sephiroth taking turns piloting. It was one of the most uncomfortable trips Kris had ever been on, but she refused to complain. She spent most of the trip thinking about what she would say to Genesis when she saw him. None of it played out well for the Commander. At least not in her head.

When they finally arrived at the village, Kris took a moment to stretch out a few kinks before she turned to Angeal. Everyone gave her curious looks as she addressed him. "Where are the caves from here?"

He looked confused. "Which caves?"

Kris sighed. She should have known to be more specific. "The ones that have the entrance near the apple juice factory. The ones you and Genesis used to play in as children."

Understanding lit his eyes before confusion set back in. He supposed it wasn't too surprising that Genesis had shared that fact with her, but she would be the first woman for him to have done so with. He mentally shrugged. She was also the first woman his friend had given an engagement ring to. Even if it had been after he was gone. He looked around to get his bearings and pointed East. "The entrance should be that way."

All of the men gave her curious looks as she headed off without looking back. Zack shook off his worry and rushed to catch up with her. There was something he had wanted to say to her, but he had needed some time to work it out. She glanced at him curiously as he reached her side. He scratched the back of his head as he started out tentatively.