Examination

Chapter 70

Kris cringed internally at the evaluating look the doctor gave her, but she was thankful he didn't say what was on his mind. Instead, he turned to grab a few things, including a phlebotomy kit. He turned back with a smile as he gestured to the dark glasses she was wearing. "We'll draw some blood in a moment, but first, I would like to do a full exam. Could you remove those, please?"

Kris' hand shot up to the only thing hiding her strange eyes. She shook her head. "I can't take them off. I have a condition that makes it hard for my eyes without them."

The doctor frowned slightly, but his smile was back quickly. "I can turn down the light for a moment. I just need to check your reflexes."

Genesis stepped forward at that point. His frown had the other man taking more than a few steps back. "She said no. Move on."

Kris felt a little sympathetic when the doctor swallowed hard and gave Genesis a nod. "Of course." He then turned back to Kris. "Well, let's get that blood drawn so we can run some tests, and I'll check you over."

The rest of the exam was nearly silent except when the doctor had questions. Once he finished checking her over, he left the room. Kris was glad that she had insisted that Genesis be the only one to come back with her. It would have been extremely uncomfortable otherwise. While they waited, she watched Genesis pacing around the small room. She was thankful when the doctor returned. Her fiancé was about to drive her batty.

The doctor gave them both a grin when he entered. "Well, I am happy to confirm that, yes, you are pregnant. Since you couldn't remember your last period, I have had to go on what I could hear and measure. It looks as though you might be close to four months already. The only reason you aren't showing more is because you are underweight."

He paused and pulled two bottles out of his pocket to hand to her. "You are also slightly anemic. One of those is a vitamin with extra iron. The other is to help with nausea. I would still recommend that you rest as much as you can. The worst of it should pass in a few weeks."

Kris thanked him before they left, as did a grudging Genesis. Though Kris refused to say anything to the other two until they were out of the building and down the road. When Zack couldn't stand it any longer, he clasped his hands together and gave her a pleading look. "What happened? Is everything alright?"

Kris chuckled at his actions. "Yes, everything is fine. The baby seems to be progressing at the expected rate, given what Hollander told us. He also gave me something to keep my food down."

Zack grinned at her announcement. "Ah, yeah! I'm so excited to meet the little guy. How much longer do you think?"

Genesis was still not in a good mood, so he gave the boy a glare, but it was Reno that spoke up. "So another little Fair runnin' around, huh? That should make life interestin'."

Genesis' glare deepened. "No, A Rhapsodos. My child will not go through life without a proper last name."

Reno waved off his statement with a grin. "Whatever you say, Commander Cranky."

Kris was already done with all of them, but she knew she had to stop her fiancé before things got out of hand. She grabbed his arm and pointed toward the hotel where the rest were staying. "Look, we are almost there. Why don't you let me go up to the room? I'll take one of these and see if I can eat and then go to bed. I'm exhausted."

Genesis took a deep breath before he nodded to her. He was aware that part of it was her trying to keep him from losing his temper, but he also knew she was right. Now wasn't the time. Instead, he gently put a hand over hers on his arm. "I'll bring something up for you if you would like to relax with a bath. It would probably help."