Into Nibelheim

Chapter 74

The next morning was nearly as eventful as the night before. The entire team had been up early, as none of them wanted to miss a home-cooked breakfast. Both Sephiroth and Reno had never had Kris' omelettes, so there were a lot of compliments going around. Kris was shocked by how nice Reno was to her mother, but she wasn't going to complain. It was a pleasant change to see him acting like a regular person.

Once breakfast was finished, there were lots of tearful goodbyes. Well, Kris and Sarah were the only ones crying, but it was still plain to see no one wanted to leave yet. It shocked the siblings when their parents somehow managed to extricate a promise to visit from every single member of their team. They were both grinning when even Sephiroth gave in with a smile.

Everyone was in a much better mood as they made their way back to the rendezvous point. They even managed to hold onto their renewed hope once they were in the helicopter and heading across the continent. It wasn't until they passed near a giant crater filled with water that Kris began to worry once more. She thought briefly about mentioning something to Sephiroth about what might lie down there but changed her mind. Now wasn't the time.

Everyone else was focused on what was to come, and none of them could afford distractions yet. She could tell him before they left Nibelheim. Perhaps they could even stop after everything was dealt with. Part of her reasoning stemmed from the fact that despite how much better she felt after seeing her parents, she still had doubts that only grew the closer they got to the mountains.

At least she did her best to keep it hidden. Not that Zack and Genesis didn't notice. However, they both agreed that bringing it up would not help. Instead, they both worked to keep her distracted. She knew what they were up to, and appreciated it all the same.

--------------------------------

It was a few days after they left Gongaga that they finally landed just outside the village of Nibelheim. Snow covered most of the surfaces, so it wasn't shocking that there weren't many people out. Nor was it particularly surprising when most of the ones that were, scattered at the sight of Shinra uniforms. Only a few curious children remained, though they were trying to be subtle in their curiosity.

Rufus ignored all of it as he headed toward the mansion that was still listed as Shinra property. Since it was late afternoon already, everyone agreed to use the evening to lay out their best course of action. It was not surprising to find the building locked, but that didn't stop them. Reno had the lock undone in record time, and it was not long before their group was gathered in what appeared to be a sitting room.

Once they were all settled, Rufus strode to the far side of the room. His face was impassive when he turned to face everyone. "There are many things we need to discover while we are here. Despite that, there is one thing I believe needs to be tackled first. First thing in the morning, we need to take a team to the reactor. If the remains of the being known as Jenova are indeed there, then we can take countermeasures."

Several voices piped up at his proclamation. He allowed it to continue for a moment before he held up one hand. Kris had to admire the way he commanded attention when that was all it took to get most of the grumbling to stop. Once it was quiet again, he turned to the Soldiers. "I am not stating that I doubt your experiences. As a matter of fact, if that thing is in the reactor, then I will agree it would be best destroyed. I cannot afford to hesitate on the chance that everything you claim is true. The first step must still be to verify the validity of what we have been told."

It was several moments later that Sephiroth gave him a nod. Genesis was still glaring, but the General spoke up before he could say whatever was in his mind. "I will agree. That is a solid plan, and I do not see how that does not coincide with what is needed. However, I will suggest that Angeal stay here with Kris."

Rufus gave him a curious look, but it was Angeal that spoke. "As much as I hate to say it, that would probably be for the best. There is no telling what could happen if I got too close. Until that thing is destroyed, I'll keep my distance."

Rufus only deliberated for a moment before he responded. "Very well. I will have Reno and Rude stay here also."

Before anything was decided, Zack jumped up. "Uh, would it be okay if I stayed too?"

All three of the Firsts joined the Vice-President in sending him curious looks. Though it did not take long for Genesis to give him a nod. "I understand. If I cannot be here to ensure nothing happens, then you would be the next-best solution. I would not object."

Angeal chuckled at the fact that Zack's mouth was hanging open. He just clapped the boy on the shoulder as he added his own thoughts. "I know you want to keep your sister safe. I am sure Genesis and Sephiroth can handle whatever they find up there."

Sephiroth gave him a slight nod as well before he turned back to Rufus. "If that is decided, we need to find a guide. The rest of the team should focus on resting. The morning will come early."

Veld stood with a slight frown. "I'll see what I can find. It shouldn't take long."

Rufus gave him a nod in acknowledgment before he turned to the rest. "Any other thoughts?"

There were several nos while the rest of the team stood to find places to sleep. Kris was not the only one frowning as they all walked out. She was less than thrilled with the idea of being left behind, but she knew there was not much she could do about it. It had been made abundantly clear before they even arrived that the entire group was not willing to put her or her baby in any kind of danger. Especially since they did not know what to expect.

--------------------------------

The next morning the entire team was standing just outside the gates of the mansion with a man Kris was unfamiliar with. He was the person that Veld had found the prior evening. Currently, the group that was preparing to head up the mountain was standing a short distance away, speaking with two of the locals, including their guide.

It wasn't until she saw a young woman nearby that she realized who the second man probably was. Since Tifa was watching with rapt interest, the man had to be her father, the mayor. Kris wished she could go talk to the girl, but knew there was no good reason for her to do so. It would just be weird. Seeing Tifa made her wonder where Cloud might be, but again, that was something that she would just have to stay curious about since now wasn't the time.

Whatever the men were discussing must have finished up since they all disbursed. The rest of their team moved toward the trail, but Genesis stepped back toward Kris. He pulled her into a loose embrace and held her for a moment. He then stepped back and cupped her chin. "There is no hate, only joy, for you are beloved by the Goddess. Take this time to rest. I will return before you know it. We were told it will be late tonight at best before we can get there and return, with a few hours accounted for once we are there. At worst, we will be back in the morning."

Kris gave him a nod, even though there was a weight in her stomach that was making her ill. She had a bad feeling about the whole thing but didn't try to say anything again. They did need to get this done, no matter how worried she was about them all. He then gave her a brief kiss before he turned to join the rest of the team.

Reno and Rude had already taken off to evaluate any potential dangers. Kris felt that was overkill in the tiny town, but Rufus had insisted. Kris watched until Genesis and the others disappeared behind a twist in the trail before she turned and headed back toward the mansion. Both Angeal and Zack had waited with her to make sure there were no issues, so they followed her back.

Even though it was mid-morning, Kris decided to try and make up for the sleep she hadn't been getting. Normally, there would be no way she could have slept through the day, but she was finding that normal didn't apply much anymore. Not with her body trying to grow a whole new human. She reassured Zack that she just needed rest since he was worried that it meant something bad. She was glad that Angeal reassured him as well. It eased his mind and allowed her to head up to bed.