t h r e e

three years ago:

i'm in bio class, reagan, paisley and caroline are in my bio class - alice and faith aren't in my bio class but all of us are in the same chem class.

everyone is talking amongst themselves before our teacher mr darby arrives to class, he's usually late so it's not unusual that we're in class with no supervision. most of us are talking about the huge halloween party that's happening at one of the seniors' house. we're all pretty excited for it since it's in a few days, the main reason everyone's excited is because they're sophomores who look for any excuse to drink and get high. i'm not one to drink, or get high. i like to stay sober and know what's going on around me, it's funny to see everyone else drink though.

i turn around and hero is talking to his friends, a smile grows on my face because he's laughing, he looks cute when he's happy. i turn my head back around and listen to my friends talking.

"last year there was so many hot boys" paisley says whilst smacking her gum in her mouth, the way she talks when she has gum in her mouth irritates me - a lot.
"yeah i can't wait to see who's there this year" caroline says, applying another layer of lipgloss to her lips.
"what are y'all wearing?" reagan asks us
"i'm not sure yet" i reply
"omg there's only a few days until the party" caroline adds, twirling a strand of hair on her finger.
"there's no way you're going to find a costume" paisley tells me.

i pull my phone out from my back pocket and put it under the desk but so i can see it, i open the messages application and text hero.

me; hi cutie

i turn around and hero is smiling at his phone, his friends are in conversation and the bubble pops up that he's tying a message, making my heart flutter.

hero; hellooo

josephine; i have a question for you mr fiennes tiffin

hero; yes miss langford?

josephine; would you like to come to be my date

josephine; well you wouldn't call it a date

josephine; im not sure what to call it but do you wanna come to a party with me?

hero; relax babygirlll i can feel your nervousness thru the phone

hero; and to answer your question..

hero; yes i will come to the party

josephine; it's a halloween party

hero; gonna dress up as a pumpkin

josephine; i have another question for you

hero; yes?

"right class"  mr darby says and places his bag onto his

"that's all for today, no homework is being set - off you go" mr darby says after an hour and a half of his lesson, i usually enjoy bio but today it dragged. everyone rushes out of the class and hero is one of the last to leave, i stand outside the class and wait for him.

"cmon jo" caroline says, pulling me toward her
"i'll catch up with you guys" i tell my group of fake friends and they all walk off.

hero leaves the classroom and i tap his shoulder lightly, making him jump a little.
"hi" i say, my voice is soft
"do you wanna get lunch with me? i'm starving" he tells me and i nod, chuckling.
"so what was your question?"
"do you want to match costumes?" i ask hero as we walk through the hallway.
"i know it's cringe but i've always wanted to and uh i've never been to a party with a boy" i add.

we stop at hero's locker and he puts his books in there and closes it back. my back is on the other locker and hero is looking down at me.. i never noticed how beautiful his eyes are.

"you have never been to a party with a boy?" hero questions and i nod, embarrassed
"ooo i'm taking your virginity" hero says, causing us to burst into laughter.
"shall we get lunch?" i ask and he nods.

i've just finished my english essay which is due tomorrow. i pick my phone up from my desk and turning over - i see that there's three new messages, one from hero, one from paisley and one from caroline.

hero; hi darling, you okay?

a smile grows on my face at his message.

josephine; yea, you?

i click on the chat with paisley

paisley; so i saw you and hayden at lunch together.. is that even his name?

i roll my eyes at her text and type a reply to the dumb bitch.

josephine; it's hero. and yes, i was at lunch with him today.

i go off of the chat with that whore and then click on my chat with caroline.

caroline; you went missing at lunch girllll

josephine; oh i was eating with a new friend

josephine; sorry i left you all

caroline; who was ittt? spill sisss!!

josephine; hero

caroline; oh yeah paisley was telling us that he was kinda cute but i didn't get to look at his face.

josephine; oh right

caroline; have you decided on your costume yet? you need to find one asap!! this party is going to be one to remember

josephine; not yet, i'll deffo have one by the day of the party - don't worry

my stomach twists reading that text, "paisley was telling us he was kinda cute". yes he's kinda cute but i don't think he'd be in interested in a walking std like paisley

josephine; my friend thinks your cute

hero; oh who was it ;)

josephine; paisley.

josephine; would you like her number?

hero; no thank you

josephine; no i wouldn't either. she's a whore, sleeps with every guy she sets her eyes on.

hero; eww

josephine; now i'm sad

josephine; not because they called you cute because they're telling the truth but

hero; but?

josephine; but they're all much much prettier than me):

hero; i promise you, they're not.