e i g h t

three years ago;

my mom is finally home and i cried a lot when i saw her, she's making us steak for dinner which i'm excited for because i haven't eaten her cooking in over a month. i saw hero today in school, we haven't hung out outside of school since we went grocery shopping together but i hope that we will soon.

i pull my hair up into a messy bun and slip some shorts on underneath hero's hoodie - it still smells like him and i plan on stealing another one of his hoodies when i see him next. i scan my eyes around my room to check if there's any clutter, surprisingly there isn't so i leave my room.

i head downstairs and the smell of my moms cooking fills the air, making me feel slightly normal. sometimes i wish that katherine would come and see me, or sometimes i wish she cared - i wish i had an older sister to share my problems with, but i don't because kat doesn't care.

my phone is on the kitchen counter near my mom and i hear a message notification, my mom looks over at the phone and i pray it's not hero - she picks the phone up and there's another notification.

"who's h?" my mother questions and i feel my heart pounding against my chest.
"uh he's in my math class" i say, picking at the skin on my thumbs.

my mom looks down at my phone screen again and furrows her brows at what she sees.
"he's your friend right?" and i nod, my mind wanders to what he's texted me.
"why is he calling you baby if he's just your friend?"
"i don't know" i mumble

my mom passes my phone back to me and my eyes move to my phone screen, i try not to smile at my phone as i read though the message.

hero; hi baby

josephine; my mom saw that and now she's questioning me ughh

josephine; you okay?

hero; yes i'm fine

hero; are u

josephine; i'm guddd

hero; you looked pretty today

josephine; gross

hero; u do everyday.

hero; flawless

josephine; are you sure you're texting the right person

hero; ur perfect stfu

i put my phone in the pocket of hero's hoodie and sit down at the dining table, my mom brings my food to the table and it looks delicious.
"i missed your cooking" i tell her and a wide smile grows on her face. i don't want her to go back to work but i know she has to, i would be selfish to tell her i want her at home - stopping her from living her dream.

after dinner, my mom and i watched titanic. she's asleep now. i'm in bed, texting hero because i can't sleep and neither can he - we should really be asleep because we have school tomorrow and it's going to be a struggle to get up in the morning.

hero; i want cuddles

josephine; do you really

josephine; my mom made us dinner

josephine; and we watched a movie together

hero; aw that's cute.

josephine; how's your mom? tell her i said hi

hero; shes good, i'll tell her tomorrow morning - i'm pretty sure she's asleep

josephine; have you eaten dinner?

hero; yea i had salmon

josephine; yum

hero; you should come over for dinner one day and meet my mom and my baby brother

josephine; i would love to 

hero; anyway

hero; look out of your window

i open my window and i see hero's car parked near my house and my heart leaps when i see him outside my house. i quietly head downstairs and unlock the door, hero is standing there in black joggers and a black hoodie. i give him a quick hug and we head upstairs, i close the door quietly - i hope my mom doesn't wake up.

hero and i are on our phones, my body is fitted between his legs and my head is rested on his chest. i'm scrolling through instagram, looking through my timeline. a notification from hero appears on my phone, i furrow my eyebrows slightly at the message because he's right behind me and he could just tell me.

hero; josephine

josephine; hero

josephine; what's up

hero; i think i'm falling in love with you

hero; and there's nothing i can do about it.

my eyes soften at his messages, i don't say anything just lock my phone - and turn my body around to face him.
"im falling in love with you too" i mumble and cup his face in my hands. this kiss feels deep, i don't want it to end. hero detaches his lips from mine - he looks vulnerable for once, he never talks about himself or his feelings.

"what do we do then" i question, running my hands through his soft brown hair.
"can we take things slowly?"
"whatever you want" i mumble