e l e v e n

three years ago;

i roll over and expect to be in hero's arms but when i realise he's not there, my heart aches slightly. i know he had to leave for work and as selfish as it sounds, i wish he was here with me instead of at work. i shove my hand under the pillow and pull my phone out from under there, i hold my phone close to my face - my eyes squinted slightly. i see i have a message from paisley, strange.

paisley; hi girly! are you free tomorrow? we're all getting our nails done and getting some lunch!

me; sure, i'll be at caroline's at around 12 tomorrow?

paisley; perfect! can't wait.

she's so fake, i honestly don't know how she does it. i scroll up and i see a message from hero.

hero; i'm sorry you didn't wake up next to me, i had work. thank you for sleeping over, it kept my mind off of everything for a while but i'm omw to work. i don't know when i'll see you next but ya know feel free to leave at anytime - i'll understand. i don't want to put any kind of
pressure on you. have a good day and i'll call you when i have a break. i love you

josephine; it's fine, i missed you so it was nice to spend the night with you after not seeing you for over a week. don't be so stupid, i won't leave you. i miss you already potatohead

i smile at the message i've written and i press the send button, i climb out of bed and tidy up the clutter i've made. i check my phone for the time and it's 9:30am, i leave hero's bedroom and go downstairs to the kitchen - i can hear martha and jamie, i feel kinda awkward since hero isn't here but martha is so sweet so i'll be okay.

"hi darlin" martha says and gives me a hug, her accent is thick making a smile appear on my face.
"if you're hungry, there's some crossaints there" she says to me and points to the counter and i nod. i wanted to ask if she would be open to working at one of my moms stores because i know they're struggling and that breaks my heart to see my best friends family struggling even though they hide it very well.

"so hero told me about your job and i could find out if my mom has any jobs going at her stores - they're paid so well and i think you'd enjoy it to be honest" i tell martha and she looks so upset and ashamed which breaks my heart.
"that would be amazing" she says, her voice breaks and i see tears running down her cheeks making my even more upset. i go over to her and give her a hug.

"i'm sorry" she said as i move myself out of the hug.
that's the thing i've noticed about hero and martha, they apologise.. a lot, it makes me upset because hero feels like he's always done something bad and blames things on himself when it isn't his fault.

martha and i end up talking for a little while longer and she tells me that hero didn't take any lunch with i'm so i said i'd grab something for him and take it to the diner. i want to give him a proper hug and whatever since i'm most probably not going to see him until we go back to school which makes me sad but it is what it is.

i park my car in the parking lot of the diner and i head inside with the small bag in my hand, i got him a grilled cheese and a coke, i also got him a brownie because i know they're his favourite. i walk over to the desk thing,
i assume this is where you order - my eyes skim around the room for hero since he's a waiter, he's probably not going to be here.

i look behind the cashier and i see hero, laughing with some other girl, they both look like they are very familiar with each other. i'm not going to lie, she is the definition of perfect and makes me feel ugly being in her presence - jealously burns through my skin and my heart begins to race, i shouldn't feel like this. he's not even mine, why should i care? he's single, i'm single.
"this is for hero" i tell the cashier and he nods at me, i hand the bag over to him and passed to hero.