Chapter 1: The Rise of a Heroine

Starkit woke up. The first thing she saw was the sunlight-covered branches of the nursery. She closed her eyes again, not bothered by the fact that the sun had rose.

Dawnsparkle looked at her sleeping kit. She put one paw on Starkit's belly. She gently ruffled Starkit's fur. "Sweetie it's time to get up." Dawnsparkle meowed in a half-serious, half-playful tone.

Starkit quietly groaned and opened her eyes a little. She closed them again.

Dawnsparkle sighed. "It's an important day today."

"What is it mom?" Starkit mewed in a slightly annoyed voice.

Dawnsparkle laughed in amusement. "Don't tell me you forgot about it already!"

Starkit's eyes then popped open. She gasped. She gently slapped herself with her paw. How did I forget?

"It's my apprentice ceremony today!" Starkit screeched in excitement.

Starkit swiftly ran out of the nursery, not even waiting for Dawnsparkle. But Dawnsparkle caught up to her quickly.

"Starkit, you know the clans don't accept cats from different clans like us, sometimes." Dawnsparkle meowed at Starkit.

Starkit glared at her tortoiseshell mother. She never liked that lecture. Just because my mom is a former Shadowclan cat, and my dad is Jayfeather the medicine cat, doesn't mean I'm different!

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey, please come to the Highledge for a clan meeting!" Firestar meowed.

Every cat in Thunderclan looked up at the ginger tom.

"Today we are making a new apprentice!" Firestar continued, looking at Starkit. "Starkit. Come here." mewed Firestar from the ledge.

Starkit hesitated for a moment, and took a step back. But then, without a doubt, she took the rest of the steps to the towering ledge. Starkit mustered up all her strength to climb the ledge.

Firestar looked at the she-kit. "Starkit. You have reached six moons old. This means that it is time for you to become an apprentice." Firestar mewed, nuzzling Starkit's nose. "Starkit, your name, until you become a warrior, will be Starpaw." Firestar mewed loudly for everyone in the Thunderclan camp to hear. "You are a strong, and brave cat." Firestar took a pause. "Because of that, I will be your mentor, Starpaw." Firestar continued.

Everyone in the clan, including Starpaw, gasped. Starpaw wanted to squeal in excitement, but she didn't want to embarrass herself on only her first day as an apprentice.

Starpaw could hear Dawnsparkle and Jayfeather cheering in the back of the crowd of cats.

Firestar licked Starpaw's shoulder. "You'll be the best there ever was, Starpaw. I can guarantee it." Firestar purred.

"Starpaw! Starpaw! Starpaw! Starpaw!" the clan screeched.

Firestar nodded his head, signaling Starpaw to get down to the ground.

Starpaw flicked her tail and nodded, as she began to climb off the ledge.

Starpaw walked over to Dawnsparkle and Jayfeather, surprised on how well her ceremony had went. Starpaw put a smile on her face as she squeezed in between the two cats.

Jayfeather walked in front on Starpaw and Dawnsparkle.

"We are happy for you, Starpaw." Jayfeather purred, quickly stopping his words to nuzzle Starpaw.

Starpaw's eyes gleamed. I'm proud of me, too.

Jayfeather puffed his chest out. "But you see, there is this prophecy. I received it from Starclan."

Starpaw took a quick glance up at the sky, but she couldn't see any Starclan cats. She looked back at Jayfeather.

"It reads, out of the darkness, stars will come, and get rid of the evil tiger and holly." Jayfeather said. He stomped one of his paws on the ground, and then he walked away. Dawnsparkle followed behind Jayfeather.

Starpaw gasped to herself. What could it mean?