Chapter 2: The Battle of Thunder and Shadow

Starpaw walked over to the apprentice den. She was carrying a mouthful of moss and twigs to make a nest.

As she walked in, she saw some apprentices that were still in the den. She saw her sisters, Flamepaw and Lakepaw. They were talking about something.

Further back in the den was Starpaw's friend, Jazzpaw. Starpaw saw two more apprentices, called Foxpaw and Daisypaw run out of the den.

Starpaw took a few pawsteps closer to Jazzpaw. Jazzpaw was asleep in her moss nest. That reminded Starpaw to build her nest. She had built her nest two tail-lengths away from Jazzpaw.

Jazzpaw was still asleep by the time Starpaw had made her nest. Starpaw rolled her eyes. "Jazzpaw, get up!"

Jazzpaw didn't hear her friend. Jazzpaw reached out her paws, then curled up again.

Starpaw groaned. She shook Jazzpaw like Dawnsparkle did to her when she was a kit. "Wake up!" Starpaw screeched in Jazzpaw's ear.

Jazzpaw slurred. Starpaw tried one last time to wake up Jazzpaw. But before she could do anything, Jazzpaw had sat up in her nest. Jazzpaw blinked her bright blue eyes a few times to adjust them to the light.

Jazzpaw looked at Starpaw's molting eyes. "What can I help you with?"

"Sandstorm told me to get you. She said the two of us could go try to catch some prey."

"I'm coming!" Jazzpaw mewed as she got off her nest. She shook twigs and scraps of moss from her fur.

The two cats walked out of the camp. They giggled as they scanned the area for some prey.

The two cats didn't suspect a thing when a bush shook.

A cat then hopped out of the shady forest. It was Blackstar!

Blackstar leaped up and pinned the two cats. "There's no escape now!"

"Shadowclan is attacking!" Jazzpaw let out a shrill screech of pain as Blackstar clawed her belly.

Blood seeped from Jazzpaw's belly. More Shadowclan cats emerged from the trees.

All the Thunderclan warriors were behind the two apprentices. Starpaw clawed Blackstar's leg.

"That doesn't even hurt! What are you, a kit?" Blackstar teased. Starpaw wiggled out from under Blackstar's paw.

Starpaw jumped onto Blackstar's back and clawed his belly.

Blackstar screeched in pain. Thunderclan warriors jumped on top of Blackstar and the other warriors of Shadowclan.

Then, Blackstar and his warriors ran away.

"And stay out!" Firestar yowled.

Jazzpaw licked one of her blood-soaked paws. "It won't stop bleeding!"

Sandstorm looked at Jazzpaw. "I'll take you to Jayfeather."

Jazzpaw leaned on Sandstorm's body. Starpaw stared down at the grass, which was now stained red.

Firestar looked at Starpaw. "You are a great fighter!"

Starpaw was proud of her accomplishment. I'm a good fighter! Is this what the prophecy meant?