Chapter 26: Pain is Everything

Starpaw ran to the camp, where she glimpsed Redfur, who was waiting for her.

"No!" Starpaw hissed. "I can't talk to you right now! I can't let myself be seen with you!"

"Why not? We've been raising you for moons now!" Redfur purred gently.

"I know! But I saw Hawkfrost lick Ashpaw!" Starpaw shook her head at the bitter thought.

"Well that's perfectly fine, isn't it?" Lakepool asked, walking out of the den. "I mean, we're lesbians, and there's nothing wrong with that!"

"There's lots of things wrong with that!" Starpaw growled angrily, running back in the direction of the forest. She left the two she-cats behind.

Tears streamed down Starpaw's face. But, she saw Hawkfrost and Ashpaw again.

"You can't be gay!" Starpaw hissed.

The toms didn't move. They kept on licking each other.

"Why don't you code-breakers just leave?" Starpaw hissed. "You aren't accepted in this clan of mine!" Starpaw continued.

"It's not your clan!" Hawkfrost snarled. "It's everybody's clan!"

"Oh yeah? Well you're gay!" Starpaw growled loudly.

"Fine." Hawkfrost said. "We'll go be rouges."

Ashpaw followed behind Hawkfrost, snarling at Starpaw. A frown then came to his face.

As soon as the toms left, Starpaw relived that she had banished her mentor.

Starpaw yowled. Why was I so mouse-brained?