Chapter 3: Training Under the Stars

Starpaw watched as the last Shadowclan warrior ran away from the camp. She smiled, satisfied.

"Come on, Starpaw! It's time to begin our session!" Firestar said, putting his ginger paw on Starpaw's back. "I'm gonna teach you special battle moves that only the best apprentices get taught!"

Starpaw beamed in excitement. "Let's start already!"

Firestar meowed. "Okay then! Let's head back to the camp!"

Starpaw followed behind Firestar, thinking of the awesome battle moves she would learn, and how scared her opponents would be. She could barely contain her excitement!

"Starpaw. Pretend that I'm a Shadowclan warrior. Dodge my attack." Firestar yowled.

Starpaw nodded as she crouched to the ground.

Firestar leapt at Starpaw. Starpaw leapt into the air, not only dodging Firestar's attack, but clawing his ear.

Firestar was speechless. "That's amazing! Now let's practice fighting!"

Starpaw clawed Firestar's nose and back legs. She was about to claw his spine when Firestar meowed "Training is over!"

Starpaw nodded as she walked away. But Firestar yowled back at Starpaw. "The last cat that could fight like that was Scourge!"

Starpaw stopped dead in her tracks. Her blood almost froze. "I'm like Scourge?"

"No. What I mean is that you fight really well!" Firestar replied.

Starpaw breathed a sigh of relief. She didn't want to be evil like Scourge.

Starpaw looked back at Firestar. "Can we go hunting? I'm kind of hungry."

"Sure!" Firestar mewled.

Starpaw saw a thrush in a tree. She clawed her way up, and killed the bird with one blow to the neck. She carried the bird in her jaws. She saw Firestar with a rabbit in his jaws.

"Nice catch!" Firestar said, muffled by the large rabbit.

Once they got back to Thunderclan, they put the prey in the Prey Pile. Starpaw grabbed the thrush that she had caught. Before she could take a bite, the sun dipped below the clearing.

Jazzpaw walked up and sat next to her. Starpaw tore a wing off the thrush and gave it to Jazzpaw.

Jazzpaw was stunned. She accepted the thrush wing, though.

The two cats looked up at the sky. The stars were bright. Starpaw enjoyed the rest of the thrush with Jazzpaw as the night consumed the forest into complete darkness.

The two apprentices purred. "Do you think we will ever be up with the stars?" Starpaw mewled.

"Of course we will! I mean, you could be leader of Thunderclan, and I would be the deputy!" Jazzpaw meowed, answering Starpaw's question.

Starpaw thought she saw the dark shape of a cat in the sky.

The two went back to the apprentice den as soon as they finished the thrush.

Starpaw heard a voice in her head. She fell asleep, the gentle whispers of the night keeping her asleep.

A warm gust of wind passed Starpaw. A blue she-cat appeared, followed by three toms.

"This is her." The blue she-cat mewed in a soft tone.

The white tom nodded. "I can tell."

The four Starclan cats then faded away into the sky.

The blue she-cat sighed once she got to the sky. Her head was low, ears drooping. I hope that Tiger and Holly don't get her first...