Chapter 18: Mates

The next morning, Gleamstar woke up. She blinked to adjust her eyes to the morning sun.

She realized that Hawkfrost had made his nest next to hers.

Hawkfrost was still asleep, purring softly. Gleamstar flicked her tail. She didn't want to wake up Hawkfrost, so she left the den as quietly as she could.

"Jazzsong, Redpaw, Lakepool, and Flamepelt. You are all going on a patrol to the Windclan border." Gleamstar meowed.

"Hawkfrost, let's be mates." Gleamstar purred.

Hawkfrost opened his brilliant eyes. "That's a great idea! Should we announce it to the clan?"

Gleamstar laughed. "That's why I was I waking you up, silly!"

Hawkfrost got up from the moss and shook his fur. He licked at his paws.

Gleamstar left the den again. Hawkfrost was following behind her.

"All cats old enough to catch their own prey please gather under the Highledge for a clan meeting!" Gleamstar shouted.

All the cats gathered under Highledge. Everyone had smiles on their faces. Millie sat with Briarpaw, who was waiting patiently.

"Hawkfrost and I are becoming mates!" Gleamstar yelled.

Everyone cheered. They were so happy for their leader.

"Do you know what we should do? We should announce it at the gathering!" Briarpaw called out. Millie seemed a little agitated that her daughter was doing this.

But, everyone agreed with Briarpaw.

That night, the full moon had risen high in the sky. Gleamstar was leading Thunderclan to Fourtrees.

But, just as they were about to go to the Gathering, they saw Blackstar dead on the ground. Firestar then jumped out of the trees, and right in front of Gleamstar.