Chapter 4: Decisions

Starpaw heard a bird singing in the distance. She was curled up in her nest. She felt a ginger paw touch her back. She looked to see Firestar, who was blushing.

Starpaw looked up at Firestar. "Do you want something?"

Firestar looked down at Starpaw. "I think I like you."

Starpaw smiled. "I like you too!"

Firestar nodded. "You can continue sleeping now."

Starpaw flicked her tail and nodded. As soon as Firestar left the den, she had fallen asleep.

There was something tickling the she-cat's purple fur. She opened her eyes and looked up. She saw a blurry gray tom. Starpaw blinked a few times. The blurry tom become more clear.

Graystripe looked at Starpaw. "Starpaw! It's time for patrol! There's also something I would like to say... I-I like you. Will you be my mate?"

Starpaw looked at Graystripe. "I wish I could, but Firestar asked me already."

Graystripe growled. "Well then Firestar is just a mouse-brain!"

"What makes you say that?" mewed Starpaw, cocking her head in confusion.

"I don't like him. He is a mean cat." replied Graystripe.

Starpaw shivered. "You mean like Scourge?"

Graystripe shrugged. "Anyway. Will you be my mate?"

Starpaw turned. "Well, maybe. But what would Firestar think about this?"

Graystripe looked around to make sure no one was watching the two cats. "I don't think he would mind."

"If you say so, then sure!" Starpaw said, bouncing with joy.

A ginger tom walked into the apprentice den. "What are you talking about?"

Starpaw turned to Firestar. "Oh! Nothing, Firestar, go back to sleep."

"Yeah there's nothing to worry about here." meowed Graystripe.

Firestar went deeper into the den and pounced on Graystripe. "I want to be with her!" Firestar said, while slashing Graystripe's face.

"No, I do!" Graystripe said, biting Firestar's hind legs.

"Stop! It's too much!" yowled Starpaw, running out of her den. Tears were streaming down her face. What will I do? Who should I pick?