Chapter 36: Loss

"Ashfur! What are you doing here?" Stargleam growled.

Ashfur flicked his tail. "I'm taking a kit of yours."

He picked up Tigerkit by the scruff.

Tigerkit tried to escape, but Ashfur's jaws had a firm hold of his scruff.

"You rejected me. Now I will get my revenge by raising Tigerkit to be evil!" Ashfur snarled.

Stargleam and Jazzsong gasped. Stargleam tried to attack Ashfur, but he dodged each attack with swiftness and skill.

"Not if I can help it!" Fluffykit yowled, jumping on top of Ashfur.

Fluffykit bit at Ashfur. But the gray tom could barley feel the kit's bites.

"Not my brother!" Fluffykit screeched.

Ashfur shook the fuzzy kit off his pelt and ran away.

Fluffykit buried his nose into Jazzsong's warm ginger fur and cried.

Stargleam picked up the kit. "It's okay. If Tigerkit is anything like me, then he's a good fighter. He'll come back soon..."

But the kit wailed anyway.

...I hope. Stargleam thought, continuing her words. She was getting worried herself.

Fluffykit wailed even louder. Neither of the she-cats could comfort him.

A crowd of cats came to see what was happening. In front of them all, was a vaguely familiar ginger tom. It was Firestar! His green eyes were shining in the sunset's warm amber glow.