Symbols

"You have 2 hours break daily. Within those break I will teach you the four basic mathematical operations.
Lets see. 1 month and you will surely be a basic math genius..Of course Let's not include the other things and just focus on those four where I can boast my capability."

"Umm.." Alvin looks huge but he is timid and shy.
"I don't understand anything you said."
He said slightly ashamed.

"It's fine. I am just trying to sound smart. But I only know the 4 basics operations and to be honest. That is all we need most of the time."

"Hah.." Alvin blinks his eyes.

Emerald smiles.

"Before we start I will  tell you my fee. I am not expensive. Just pay me 30 copper a day for 2 hours course. I'll guarantee that in a month you can even replace Randy in his position."

Alvin flushed red.
"Really? B-but I am very stupid. I think...I am not..good with studying."

"Studying is like drinking alcohol."

"Hah?"

"If you desire to drink, you work hard. Studying is the more you work hard, the easier it gets. Usually it gets harder but we will skip that part."

Alvin looks at Emerald.
"I feel like...It is a waste of time to...teach me."

"It's not a waste of time if it involves money." Emerald smiles.

"Hah." Alvin sighs.

"Tomorrow, class will start. I will first leave this paper with you. I made that a very long time ago. I called them symbols. Our stidies will revolve in those symbols so work hard to recognized them."

Alvin nods and look at the paper.
Inside are boxes of number name and number symbols.

Emerald is skipping.
She will have to prepare a lot of things for tomorrow so she won't do any chores for now.
30 coppers for teaching Math? And he is going to teach an adult?
Talk about stealing money with a smile.

.
.
.
.

After the practice, Alvin runs to Emerald that is waiting under a tree shade.

"Princess,did you wait long?"

"Not really. Alvin, you are very strong. Maybe Ansley have to get serious or you might defeat him next time."

Alvin face reddened.

"H-how can I be...compare to him?"

"Why not? Hard work will not betray you."

Alvin nods.

"So, did you memories the symbols I gave you last night?"

"Yes. They are easy to remember."

"Good. We will use them alot from now on."

"Umm..Okay. I will do my best."

"Do not be too nervous." Emerald smiles.
"Since you have basic knowledge this will be a breeze."

"Hmm.."

The soldiers around look at the serious big bear that is listening to the little girl talking.
They are a bit far from them so they didn't hear them.

Alvin keeps nodding while the little girl keeps smiling.

Someone....it feels like Alvin is getting sold by an evil little sister.

.
.
.
.

Ansley is not satisfied seeing Zeo and Jess.

"It's been a week. How come the princess is still not here?" He said frowning.

"Shut up old uncle. The princess is still playing teacher to his student."
Zeo said.

"Math huh. The larger the quantity the harder it goes." Sherlock said smiling.
He is the Black Knight's Vice captain, also the one who defeat Michael in the competition..

"I...also want to study." Ansley said.

"Captain....you are very good with your computation."

"I'm sure the princess can improved me better!" Ansley said.

"Die,disgusting Uncle." Jess said sighing.

.
.
.
.

"That is a good way." Froilan said nodding his head.

Emerald sighs.

Suddenly there are two students.
Alvin and this old man.
Alvin is very serious and dedicated.
At first Emerald just enjoy collecting money but sooner she get excited from the joy of having a very smart and capable student.

Now, while Froilan is getting familiar while using the symbols to solve problem.
Alvin is using mental computation to add.

Even Froilan got very amaze with how much change does this make.

"Alvin 5617 + 79"
Throwing a question to make Alvin startle but the guy is no longer the same as before.

He looks up but his eyes is not looking at anything as if he was looking at something no one else can see.

"Umm...5696?"
Alvin looks serious.

Emerald smiles.
"Good."

"Hoh." Alvin breathes out.

"Don't get tense. This is the basics. We will proceed to subtraction tomorrow."

"Minus." Alvin said.

"Yep. Sir Froilan will stay in addition though."

"Eh?" Froilan smiles wryly.
"Why?"

"Half of your answers are still wrong."
Emerald smiles.

"Hmm.." Froilan sighs. "Understood."

Alvin hears it and felt a small sense of pride that he force not to show in case he offend Sir Froilan.

"You are better." Emerald said to Alvin.

Alvin flushed red and look shyly at Sir Froilan.

Froilan nods.
"I admit defeat but I won't stay under you." He said politely.

Alvin feels a lot of pride as he clenched his fist tighter.

"Studying....It is fun." He said smiling happily.

Emerald was taken a back and then she nods.

"You like it right? Studying is fun when you compete, right? When you solve a hard problem perfectly it feels good, right? So let's study more, okay?"

Alvin nods.
"I will do my best."

Emerald nods.
"Of course."

Froilan looks at the number symbols made by the princess.
It is easier to understand than those errors from before.
He should asks some of his educator friend.

Emerald feels joy from collecting her daily income and Alvin felt a new goal is set for him.

"Princess, is it alright if I show these symbols to my friend? He is a teacher and he might find it useful."
Froilan said.

Emerald eyes sparkle.
"Sure. Sure." She said almost pushing him to do it.

Froilan nods.
Making sure the symbols are well place in his pocket, he walks to his horse.

Emerald is a bit hopeful.
Maybe, the day will she won't hide scribbling numbers will be over if the symbols will be appreciated and approved by a real teacher.

That day will come...She just knew it..

A/N:

I am distracted while doing this chapter because of my cousin...urgh...
Wahhahahahah..

Gotta go.