Chapter 2 • New Beginings

When I came back from my thoughts Clara told me how I had a flight in 2 hours and that we had to go back to my house to pack my things, not that I have much anyway from the little food in the pantry, and my few clothes, there wasn't much stuff to take.

Apparently my oldest brother, Lorenzo will be my guardian I don't know much about him just that he's my oldest brother, he takes care of the family business after our fathers passing, and that he's 27.

When we arrived at my small one story home I can feel Clara's eyes staring into my head, but I avoid her stare to ashamed to have been living in a rundown home with the door barely holding on, when my mom died John lost his job so we had to find a cheaper alternative.

"Are you sure this is the right house?" She asked while eyeing it with worry written on her face, I don't understand why she would be worried though it's not like she lived in it, and even though it wasn't the greatest house it wasn't the worst, at least we weren't living on the streets and I was grateful to have a roof over my head, so I can't complain.

"Yah I'll be right back" as I got out of the car to go inside I could feel my palms begin to get sweaty, nervous to see the inside as I had been at school when John picked up his stuff and left.

Walking inside by myself I took everything in, it still looks the same, the same beer bottles lying around even the same glass of one is still there on the floor from when he threw it at me the other night for not having dinner made for when he got home, it was my fault though I should have known he would've been mad.

Going into my room that's probably the size of a nice closet I grab a duffle bag and throw my 3 pairs of clothes in it along with some books I've found overtime, the only item I have that I need is the necklace around my neck, I've had it as long as I can remember and I never take it off, it's a pendant of a small heart with the words

To the moon and back

Inscribed on the back of it, it's really the only possession of mine that I cherish and need, anytime I try to take it off I feel like I'm naked.

Walking back out to Clara's car I put my bag in the trunk and get back in the car to find Clara texting someone with a serious look on her face, now being the nosy person I am I try to see who she's texting but her phones to far away.

Finally realizing I'm in car now she puts her phone down and looks at me with a small smile on her face and asks if I'm ready, after confirming that I am we drive off and head to the airport.

After finding out that I'll be on the plane alone I start to freak out and feel my heart rate pick up, I've never been on a plane much less alone, everywhere I went I had my mom or even John when he at least was my parent, now it's finally sinking in that I'm alone I don't think I've ever felt as alone as I did now, even when my mom died I was devastated but I think I was numb to, and then when John hit me for the first time I haven't felt anything since that moment beside the feeling of being numb, like I was just watching myself live through the past 2 years of abuse instead of actually living it myself.

Now that Johns gone and I'm leaving the only place I've ever really known, now I think it's setting in how alone I really am. I lost all my friends after my mom died because he didn't like me having friends, and the John I knew and loved died the same day mom did and sure Clara's with me right now but then when I get on that plane I'm probably never gonna see her again and I'm gonna be living with 6 boys, my brothers who I've never met in my life except the time when I was a baby, but it's not gonna be long until they give up on me too, just like everyone else had.

Just like my teachers who I wouldn't talk to after my mom died otherwise John would give me a worse punishment, just like my friends who stopped talking to me because I ruined their vibe and John didn't want them to be my friends and just like John who broke his promise the day he married mom, the promise to love and protect me from all the evil in the world when instead he became the evil.

It wasn't long before we were parking at the airport and getting out.

Walking into the airport it was busy for nighttime, my flight was at 9:00 pm and it's was currently 8:30.

By the time we got finished with everything in order to board the plane it was already 8:55 so as I got my plane ticket out I turned back to Clara, even though I haven't known her long I felt safe with her and comforted, she reminded me like a big sister and I was a little nervous to be parting with her.

"Alright kiddo you ready to see your family" she asked so softly that I wanted to cry.

"Yah I guess, I've always wanted a brother" I remembered all the times I'd dream of having a sibling just to make them have tea parties with me, all the times when my mom was at work and had our 17 year neighbor come over and watch me, the only thing she watched was her boyfriend get undressed in the bathroom while I watched Sofia The First, needless to say she got fired.

"Ha well good luck with the ones your about to get, I know they all really missed you" she looked as if she was reminiscing memories.

"How would you know if they missed me?" I was confused, she talks about them as if she knows them.

Suddenly her look sobered up and she looked at me again with that soft smile still there but with a look of mystery in her eyes also.

"Nothing honey just when I talked to them about your living arrangements they told me. Anyway you should probably board your flight before you miss it." She told me as she ushered me to the door and rubbed my back for a second as I turned around.

"Ok, thank you for taking me here" I fiddled with my necklace not sure if I should thank her or not for coming inside with me but I did anyway.

"Don't worry about it, I'll see you soon Gabriella" I wasn't sure what she meant by that seeing as I was pretty sure this would be the last time I see her, but with those thoughts in my head I walked to the lady at the door and hand her my plane ticket.

As I find my seat I find it in front of a little kid, but thankfully the seats next to me have no one sitting there.

As the plane takes off, my hands start to shake so I make fists until my knuckles turn white and create crescents into my palm from my nails. I've never liked planes there are way to many plane accidents that can happen, so every time we went on vacations when my mom was till alive we drove.

Sighing to myself as we were in the air I look out the window just to see us leaving California and heading to New York, I've always wanted to go to NYC but mom never did saying it was to crowded and I wouldn't like it, now I'm starting to think it was really because my brothers and father were there. No matter how upset I am at my mom for not telling me about them, I can't get mad at her for I have no idea why she left and I loved the times with my mom.

Whenever we'd drive just the two of us late at night and blast Taylor Swift while getting ice cream cones from McDonald's, that is if their soft serve machine was working. I loved those times I got with her and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

It was the little things like that which I missed and cherished the most, like how whenever she worked late how she'd always kiss me goodnight whenever she came home even when she herself was exhausted, or how every Sunday morning we'd have brunch at our favorite 50s themed diner that reminded us of our favorite movie to watch together, Grease, or how every Friday night was our date nights whether it be playing laser tag and bowling, or just staying home and watching movies while eating all the snacks in the house.

But what I miss most of all were her hugs, the only place in the world I felt like I was home was her hugs, and when she died she took my home with her.

I feel a tear slowly slip down my face and quickly wipe it away, it's been a while since I've just let myself breakdown and cry, it's hard to let it all out when I know that no one would be there for me to cry on.

As the plane ride went on there was one thought that stayed in my head the whole time, it is that my new family, my brothers were not gonna find out about my past more specifically John, I don't know what I'm gonna say if they ask why he left, all I know is this is my new beginning and I'm not gonna mess it up and have them give up on me just like everyone else.

I hope you liked this chapter I know it's a little shorter then the last one but I'm still trying to figure out how to set up the story before we get to the interesting parts and don't worry you'll meet the brothers next chapter and figure out what Clara meant in either chapter 3 or 4. I hope you all have a great day today 😊