Chapter 18 • Forest Green

I've always wondered what everyone else's fears are. Sure there are the little one like fear of spiders or bugs, fear of heights and falling to your death but deep down everyone has a fear that they won't even admit to themselves because they don't want to think about it, like maybe fear of losing a loved one or being left alone. One thing that's always scared me was being rejected by my loved one. So as I'm walking behind Enzo towards his office that fear is coming back. The thought of my brothers, the only family I have left not wanting me. I never should've broke their rules.

I should have learned from John what broken rules gets you. What's that saying he used to say all the time? When you play with fire your bound to get burned. And that's exactly what I did, I played with fire so now I'm going to get burned.

I held on tight to the only comfort I have, my necklace, as we walked down the long hallway that seems to be getting longer and smaller the more time we spend in it.

Finally we got to the door of his office. When we entered Enzo turned to look towards me but I couldn't look at him, so instead my eyes scorned every little detail of this room. I saw the way the light entered the room and warmed it up with its soft glow, I saw how neat every thing was not one book on his bookshelf out of place, I saw how shiny his laptop was and how it was surrounded by papers on his desk, and I saw how Lorenzo was sitting on his black sofa waiting for me, watching me study his room. Finally I went and sat down on the opposite sofa from him and decided to look out the window.

"Gabriella." Lorenzo's stern voice brought me out of my thoughts and me turn my head a little to look at him.

"Why were you in that hallway?" I wanted to yell at myself for disappointing him. How can they trust me if not even a week after meeting them I break their rules a long with their little trust they've put on me.

"I don't know, I was just curious when I heard people talking I guess." My voice came out small and timid.

"Is that it?" Enzo raised his eyebrows with a look I couldn't decipher. I jus nodded to his question, to tired with everything to speak.

"See I don't think it is. I think something bothering you." When I just looked at him with a questioning look he continued. "What going on in that head of yours Ella?"

I looked away from his hypnotizing eyes that can see right through me and back out the window. He's right something was bothering me but I have no idea what. It's been bothering me for the past few days. How is he able to see right through me so easily?

I sighed before answering him. "I honestly don't know I just, I guess I don't really know any of you. Sure I know the little things like Matty's favorite movie or how Luca works out a lot but can barely run before losing breath, or how Emilio can be annoying when he wants be, or how Leo looks intimidating but can be nice? I don't know he still confuses me, but I don't know anything about Antonio or you really. Like what your favorite color or food, or why you always wear suits, because that can be comfortable, or-" I was cut off my rambling session by him saying my name. I forgot I need to breathe so I took a deep breath of very appreciated air.

"Ella." I looked at Enzo to see him wearing an amused smile.

"I'm sorry I ramble whenever I don't know what to say or when I'm nervous." I always thought that was weird about me, I barely talk except when I ramble. My mom used to say it's because I hold in all my words until they just all come out at once in a word vomit.

"Don't apologize." He smiled at me before standing up. "Come on, I want to show you something." I stood up with him and followed him out of his office and down the hallway.

"And it's forest green." I looked at him confused waiting for him to elaborate which he did. "My favorite color."

"Oh. Mines purple, like a light purple." I fumbled over my words to shocked that he actually answered my question.

"So like lilac?" He asked with a small barely noticeable smile. I just nodded while my cheeks burned bright red.

"Why is your favorite color forest green?" I didn't want the conversation to be over so soon.

"It reminds me of someone. Why is yours lilac?" I smiled at him before answering his question.

"It's calming and it reminds me of lavender which is one of my favorite flowers." We both were quiet after that which I didn't mind. It wasn't awkward It's was, comforting.

Lorenzo stopped us at the door that leads to the garden which I have yet to explore. He opened the door and waited for me to go through.

"The garden?" He looked at me before shaking his head and leading me further into the garden until we reached the very back.

He pulled back the vines that fell down from the large willow trees that covered the back of the garden to travel a whole new little area

I walked through before he followed me. There was this small field covered in wild flowers with beautiful trees wrapped all around it along with a perfect willow tree right in the center.

I looked towards Lorenzo who was looking around with what has to be the softest smile I have ever seen on him.

"This place is like a safe haven, it's always been here but we planted the willow tree years ago." He walked towards the willow tree with me right behind him.

"We planted this tree in honor of someone we lost." I looked at Lorenzo confused, wondering who it was they lost. "We planted this tree for you Ella." I was at a loss for words. This magical place they dedicated to me. I felt something warm that I haven't felt in a long long time fill up my chest. I looked up at Lorenzo with tears filling my eyes before hesitantly wrapping my arms around him. It was only a second before I get his warm arms wrap around me, and hold me tight to him as if he lets go I'll be gone.

"You have no idea how much we all love you Neonata." I felt him press a kiss to the crown of my head. (Baby Girl)

I pulled away before looking up at him with a smile so big my cheeks began to hurt. "I think I'm starting to."

After our emotional moment we both sat underneath the tree in a comfortable silence before it was broken by his phone. It was someone who worked for him, I knew he had to leave to go to work but I could also tell he didn't want to leave me alone but after reassuring him that I'd be fine under the tree he left. I was expecting him to make me go inside but he surprisingly just smiled and left.

I sat underneath the tree for a while just thinking about how much my life has changed in just the span of week before deciding to get up and go inside.

I had a smile on my face the entire walk to my room. When I finally got there I saw my school bag on my desk chair and decided to get my homework done, but before that I changed into joggers and a sweatshirt before washing my face.

When I looked up at my face in the mirror hanging above my mirror I lost my smile for a second out of shock before it came back ten times bigger. When I looked at my eyes I remembered Enzos favorite color and how it reminded him of someone, so as I looked at the color of my eyes I could feel my heart swell with happiness and love.

"Forest green." I felt a tear out of happiness come out of my forest green eyes that for the first time since 2 years shined with happiness.

I hope you all love this chapter. I know it was a short one but I loved it and couldn't control my smile while writing it.

What do you guys think about Lorenzo now that your seeing more of his soft side?

I hope you all have an amazing day 😊