Remembrance

Winds howled in the open green field. It was particularly stormy this night. A glum weather lurked in the sky above him. Karl examined the astounding castles that ascended high up pridely looming over the lonely streets of the Third city with a distaste. His dark purple (almost black) hairs shielded his eyes. They kept getting in the line of his sight, making him more annoyed by the second.

He was getting anxious for some reason for the last two days. A dream was causing trouble in his life and diverting his immediate attention to itself. A face kept appearing in his dreams and his thoughts.

A captivating, delirious and compelling face.

It awakened a deeply buried desire in him, it was resurfacing in him and stroked his forbidden and uncensored thoughts further.
Karl considered himself as a ladies's man. And why wouldn't he?

He was certainly as handsome as any god ever seen.
Still, it was this untamed desire that he was experiencing now that he most certainly never ever felt before. Or maybe he had.....a long time ago, he remembered.

He took a deep breath and touched his dead heart that beated loudly at the mere remembrance of the face.
In his dream, a maiden with burning red hairs was running away from an evil power. Every time the thing got close enough to cause the enthralling beauty any harm, Karl wanted to destroy it.
But it was unfortunately a very wrong time to daydream about the fiery red haired girl. This night is special, he thought looking at the blood moon in the sky. He strolled towards the altar prepared especially for him and his two adopted brothers.
Tonight, he would be crowned as the Protector of the Third city, City of Ruins. In a few minutes, the whole city would emerge right in this field; the good, the noble, all of them. Dreading the night but still cheering him on.
No defiance will help those little twats. He is the Protector, always has been and will be in the glorious years of darkness to come.

Soon the Ruins will rise again and the ruthless wall of dark knights will be reborn to protect his city. Magic swirled in the unveiled gates of ruins these days. He has felt them now several times, caressing his hands as if it wanted him to envelop or claim them. And claimed they will be and Karl will rule over them all as he used to.

His conquering thoughts got interrupted by a deep throat clearing.

He sighed turning back to see the old master with a smile on his face. They say the 'Old is Gold'. The old master served him like that, he was indeed a gold for Karl. Perhaps the only person who is genuinely happy to see him crowned.

An oval bowl full of fox blood was laid in front of him. Besides him, his two brothers, Tom and Dean stood facing him and the Old master at the other side. The guards stood around the altar and people in the front as the witness of sacrifice provided to him as the offering. For them, he is the God and he is the Death. The priest of the city came forward dressed in his ancient robes and they were bloody red as well.

Priest lifted his hands with an expressionless face and spoke no words as the dead needed no words to hear.

His dead and boney hand, handed him a slavic dagger. Holding the knife in his hand, Karl took a deep breath. He is being crowned again after years and this time he will rule all. He brought the knife near his wrist and slit it open.

The blood oozed out with a rush. Several gasps sounded in the crowd. A lightning struck across the sky, startling many. As if on a que, all of them kneeled in front of him, everyone in the field except the priest who chanted ancient words in the air.

Even he seemed a little startled by the sudden change in weather. Yet he continued chanting, never stopping the prayer. Karl looked up at the sky with narrowed eyes and another lightning struck right near his feet.

Priest came near the spot where the lightning had struck, with a crown of thorns in his dead fingers. Karl bended his neck with grace and the next moment the crown was on his head.
No sound was heard.

No movements made, only the rush of power that enveloped him completely.

He grimaced as the excruciating pain took over him completely. And they rushed at him at once, adjusting in the mortal body and turning it into an immortal one. He dropped on his knees and it stopped all at once.

"Rise oh Ancient one! The city has waited too long" Priest above him whispered.

The celebration isn't anything the whole city has seen in a long time. Karl smirked at the girl in a low neck gown across the hall. She stared back at him with deep black soulful eyes. She smirked back at him in a notorious and flirting way. She looked familiar.

He twirled the glass of wine in his hand and prepared to walk towards the lady before someone stepped in his way. His brothers behind him stirred, alarmed. Karl raised a hand to stop them and motioned for them to leave him alone. In front of him, a man with curly black hairs and sour face stood. Karl smiled at him in annoyance.

"Charlie are you crashing the party? I don't remember inviting you" Karl said hastily.

"I found her. The girl....." Charlie said with a sadistic smile on his face that had once matched Karl's own.

"Well, looks like I am not the only one back after the vacation"