Match Burns

Samuel has never been more uncertain and weak willed as he felt now. He has tried to avoid her at all cost from the last few painful and slow days. Busying himself in the wedding preparations.

Can it get any more ironic? He had wondered when he was chosen as the one to walk beside her on the wedding march.

His resolve is weakening as the day nears. He is afraid he will do something that he will regret. He is afraid he is more forgettable than he knew.

Stop shaking! He shouted at himself, his fist tightened.
Her endlessly deep green eyes met his with an adoring look.

How can his resolve not shake at that? How can anybody?

Her face was just as flushed and irritatingly excited as the last time they talked. When she had told him about the rush wedding, blushing and glowing. He hadn't seen her since then, hiding and overworking. But above all, feeling guilty. It's his two best friend's wedding. Why isn't he happy? Is he that selfish?

"Samuel," She said, waving her left hand in greeting. An easy smile on her beautiful face.

"Kristina" He whispered with an indifferent attitude.

The corners of her mouth turned down at his tone. A wind blew, a strand of her hair settled on her face. He felt an overwhelming need to brush it off. But he bound his hand with the last of resolve left in him.

"I have something for you," Kristina explained with a smile.

"I can see that later. I have to go for now" Samuel answered and almost turned to go. Only he was stopped by her hand that got hold of his wrist.

"Hey! It's important. It's for your competition" Kristina said with a confused and hurt voice.

It's crumbling down faster and faster. My resolve. He thought fearfully as he felt the burning need to face her and take her in his arms.

"What is it?" He asked in an urgent tone. To answer him, she passed him a sword. He looked at it doubtfully.

"Here your souvenir"

"I gave that to you," Samuel said, refusing to hold it.

"And I am giving it back now. You need it more today" She said and he could imagine the sweet smile and twinkle in her eyes.

"I..." He tried to speak but words failed him as she patted his shoulders twice. He took the souvenir without any further complaints.

"Samuel you haven't gifted me my wedding gift yet" Kristina complained in his ear.

Unable to help himself, a chuckle escaped his mouth. Stupid girl, I have already given you a gift. I haven't told you about my feelings. He thought amused.

"Why are you laughing?"

"I will give that when you get married" Samuel fired back with a dark grin.

"Liar, you are just avoiding the expense" She teased.

"I will bath you in diamonds if it pleases you but you won't like it. Would you?"

"No diamonds are useless. You know what I want" She stated in a lower voice, full of hope.

His resolve broke. He can't stay here longer. He can't. Gods be good, if he stays much longer, he will lose what he cherishes the most. His self respect. He untangled his hand and walked away without a word or a look. And she never stopped him either.

                     *********

Lauren stood on the cracked floor where Samuel's hammer had struck the floor while fighting with George. On the opposite side Marine looked at her with a smug smirk.