Crowned Protectors

It's a double update as promised!

*×*×*×*×*×*×*

The execution of Maze, the power guard, was carried out swiftly. Power guards had requested Bill to allow them to do it. Since she was a Power guard. Bill agreed and Lauren put forward her own request. Asking him to not to give her the death penalty and give her imprisonment for life instead. But her requests were left unheard by him.

It took them three strokes to sever her head. Her mother and Brat shed tears but made no sign of protest. Samuel was nowhere to be seen, he had disappeared since last night. Lauren saw the execution with clenched teeth and folded arms. Fury taking over her body.

How is it her mistake that she was controlled? Why did they have to kill her? Does this city have no feelings? These questions resurfaced in her mind again and again.

I was starting to think that I can love this city. To cherish it. I was wrong to have come to love it, in these few days. This city is cursed and so are its people. She thought resentfully.

Determined and sure on her decision, Lauren went straight to Bill instead of fighting with George in the battle arena. Robert looked at her questioningly.

"Lauren, your name was just called. Go and fight" Bill urged surprised to see her there.

A girl just got executed this morning and they want to see a fight? Lauren thought bitterly, watching the crowd as excited as the other day.

"I am dropping out of this competition," Lauren declared on Bill's microphone.

A silence fell over and the whispers started like fire around the arena.

Robert looked so shocked that Lauren almost fell bad for him. Almost.

"Why would you do that?" Bill asked nothing but curious. Lauren had imagined finding him angry.

"I don't want to be the Lead Protector" Lauren explained with determination in her decision.

"She is just a little upset from today's events father. I will talk to her. Maybe we can have the competition some other day. After all, there is a threat of attack today" Robert said quickly and took hold of Lauren's hand pulling her to the side.

"I don't want to fight Robert. More I think about it the more it seems that it's your dream to be the Lead Protector and not mine"

"You said you wanted to prove yourself to the people" Robert spat, clearly angry.

"I did. They know me better now. But I can't do this. I am sorry" Lauren apologized with not so sorry expressions.

"You don't care about me?" Robert asked in a hurt voice.

"I do. But....this isn't about me caring about you. It's how you believe that I should do whatever you want. You are so different. I didn't want to accept it but now I can see" Tears welled up in her eyes but she refused to let them slip.

Robert's golden eyes looked ready to tear up too but his face became blank after a few seconds, the hands on her cheeks dropped down.

"Okay. Do what you want" He said turning his back on her.

Lauren passed him, lightly grazing his shoulder. The crowd was impatient now and shouting from their seats to clear things up.

Geroge looked irritated standing in the arena alone.

"So?" Bill asked, smiling.
"I will drop the claim" She announced. Bill sighed and muttered something like 'thought so' under his breath.

"Then yield to me" A voice behind him said.