sixteen 🗝

Yua wasn't fond of sharing stories about her twin brother. She doesn't like talking about him but somehow she ended up telling everything to Jeongin.

"He drowned at sea when we were 9." Yua whispers, sitting by the pool. Her legs were already in the water.

"Were you having a vacation back then?"

She nods. "It was supposed to be a celebration for Yukio winning 1st place in the swimming competition. We were having fun but then he... the current took him a bit further. I saw him that day, struggling..."

Yua started to tear up, "I couldn't do anything. I don't know how to swim so how can I save him?!! I was screaming, calling out for help. My dad swam as quick as he could but Yukio was already under the water. The last memory I have of him was of his hand, trying to find its way up and trying to grab on to something."

"Yua.." Jeongin reaches out to her and carefully lays her head on his shoulder. He caresses her hand with his free hand.

Yua wiped the tears on her face, "It's depressing that the thing he loves doing the most was also the one who took him away."

Jeongin was quiet. He didn't know what to say. This is his first time seeing Yua this vulnerable and weak and yet somehow he wanted to protect her. He wanted to be there for her if anything like this happens again.

Jeongin removed his shirt and went into the water, splashing some on Yua. "You said you were taking swimming lessons?"

"I am."

Jeongin offers his hand, "Well, then show me what you got."

Yua was hesitant as to why Jeongin suddenly wanted to watch her swim. What was he doing?

"Come on," Jeongin grabs her hand and the both of them swam through the pool.

They raced a couple of times and played around for almost an hour.

Jeongin splashes some water on her, "See! You're smiling!"

Yua chuckles, "Was this your plan all along?"

The boy shrugs, "Maybe. I just don't want to see you that depressed."

"Oh, Yang Jeongin's worried about me?" She started to tease him. "That's a first."

Jeongin tried to hide his blush as he plays with the water, "It's just that, that wasn't our Yua." He walks towards her, pulling her close.

Yua was surprised as her body slammed against Jeongin's bare chest. "J-Jeongin..."

The boy smiles, "Wherever your brother is today, I'm sure he's happy of what you've become. Never ever blame yourself for what happened."

Yua started to get flustered and her heart was beating so quick. "T-thank you..."

Jeongin stared at her eyes and Yua did the same. They stayed like that for a few minutes when the girl felt Jeongin's hand on her waist.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "What are you doing?"

"Oh, uh..." He looked kinda nervous but he tightened his grip. "I saw my hyungs usually do this to the girl they uhm..."

"They what?"

Jeongin was about to say something but decided not to, he slowly backed away. "Look, its getting kinda late, I think we should—"

Before Jeongin could turn around, Yua pulled him back, their faces only inches apart.

The girl clicked her tongue, "You know, when you tease a girl, act like a man."

"I wasn't teasing y—!"

Jeongin widens his eyes as Yua's lips crashes on to his. He pulled her closer, deepening the kiss.

Both of them smiled in between as Jeongin pulls them down, underwater without breaking contact.