Chapter 17

Afrah's POV

Nicole is sitting next to me this time actually doing some work. That's until her phone rings and she engages herself in an endless conversation with God knows who.

Assistant for what if it still feels like I'm working here alone.

I get up and head to Junaid's office with the notebook in hand. This time I don't forget to knock.

"Looks like we've got our manners back," Junaid says as soon as I get in.

"I was raised up well," I offer a fake smile as I approach his desk, "I have your afternoon schedule."

"What is Nicole doing?"

"I'm not her babysitter. She's supposed to be doing work, why don't you assume that's what she's doing?"

"Because I know that's not what she's doing."

"Do you like her?" I ask without thinking twice. I don't know why I care, but it was just in my mind and I had to ask. "You know she isn't serious about the job yet you insist on keeping her."

"People deserve a chance to become better. Just like I gave you one."

"I'm not that bad." I roll my eyes at him.

"Are you sure about that?" He asks rhetorically and I see him form a smile.
Why is everybody trying to get in my nerves today?

He gets up from his seat and walks to me. At every step he takes, my heartbeat goes twice the normal. This is what I'm talking about, it isn't normal. Why do I react like this as a reaction of him being near me?

"Hand me the notebook." He asks once he's right in front of me.

"What for?"

"I have finished primary so I can read it on my own, right?" He refers to what I told him earlier. It was such a simple question but the way he just looked at me, the way only he does, made it hard. It didn't give me the creeps anymore, rather, it made me feel in an uneasy manner. The only time he keeps eye contact with me is when he looks at me this way. Which is when I can not keep eye contact with him.

"Then...I'll be leaving for now." I turn around to leave, but he closes the four as soon as I open it. My breathing rate increases matching with my hearts rhythm.

The question in mind was not the reason why he closed the door, but why am I reacting this way? If it was anybody else I would've made a scene and pulled away, but not with Junaid. I didn't want to turn around, so I wouldn't have to look at him.

Afrah this is your boss for God sake. What are you doing?

I turn around to face him as I hear him speak, "You really... don't remember me?" He asks quietly, in the calmest tone I have ever heard.

"What...?" I am trying to snap out of my long lost-mind, but with him looking at me like that, it isn't helping.

He shakes his head as if getting rid of the thoughts he was having. He looks at the notebook and then hands it to me. "Cancel it." He goes back into professional mode.

"Um...which one?"

"All of them." He goes back to his seat, "Make sure you're free this evening."

"What?...for what?"

"You can leave." He ignores my question and dismisses me. I don't waste time and get out of the room as soon as my legs allowed me to.

"Are you okay?" Nicole asks and that's when I realize I am still leaning on the office's door with my hand on my chest.