Chapter 27

Afrah's POV

I carefully open my eyes to realize I'm in the hospital. I remember clearly the reason I came here. But I want to know about Martina and the rest of the hostages. Were they able to make it out uninjured? I know I should be worrying about my state right now, but I can't help it.

"You should have stayed in the hospital room and had a rest," I hear my brother's voice as the room door opens and closes.

Is he talking to me?

"Try saying, mum," I hear a woman's voice, "C'mon, we all know that I'm not a stranger. I'm your mother, so try to pronounce it. You pronounced it for eighteen years so it shouldn't be hard after twelve years without pronouncing it." The woman continues and their voices are each time nearer. I have a feeling they are right next to my bed.

"Give me some time, I'll get the hang of it." My brother answers.

Is this a dream?

"Did she not wake up yet?" The woman asks and I close my eyes to pretend to be asleep.

"When I left, she wasn't awake yet." I hear Junaid's voice.

"Now that I finally remember everything, look at the state I find my daughter in," The woman says and her voice is each time more audible. I can imagine her right beside my bed, watching me.

This is a dream, right? I'm waking up soon.

"Baby, it's time to wake up." She holds my hand in between hers, "The moment I saw you, I knew I had a special connection with you. But I never imagined you would be my daughter." She caresses the back of my hand gently, "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry my love. I left you at the age of ten without a mother. You have grown into a fine young woman. I am so grateful to your brother for raising you up so well." Her voice cracks and I realize she's crying.

What kind of dream is this? What is going on? Why does it feel so real?
I don't want to open my eyes because I'm afraid it will actually be a dream and the moment I'm emotionally in and believing that it is reality, I will wake up.

"I promise you that... In shaa Allah, I will never leave you alone. I will never leave neither you nor your brother alone. I will be a good mother from now on. I promise." She sobs, "Ya Allah, thank you for keeping my children safe all these years." She brings my hand to her lips and kisses the back of it. I feel a teardrop on my hand.

It felt so real. The tear was sliding down my hand and in between my fingers. My hand felt cold and wet. It felt so real. Tears began to form in my eyes and I couldn't stop some from sliding down my eyes.

"Is she crying?" I hear Junaid ask.

"It must be a dream," The woman answers.

I knew this was a dream. I'm going to wake up soon. Right?

"Or maybe she's waking up," Junaid suggests.

That's what I want the most right now. To wake up and that everything goes back to normal.

"Mum, you should go get yourself something to eat." I hear Junaid say.

Mum? Is his mother here as well?

"No, I don't want to leave her again." She holds my hand tight.

"I'll call uncle to come and look after her," Junaid says.

"So, that doctor is actually my brother?" The woman asks.

"Yes, Doctor Malik is your brother." Junaid answers.

"He's been my doctor all these years and I had no idea he was my brother."

"Doctor? What do you mean? So he's been with you guys all those years!?" My brother asks, sounding surprised.