Chapter 18

Afrah's POV

As always, Junaid ended up not telling me how he knew I wanted to come here when I was young. That's no surprise, he never answers my questions. He is some mysterious-arrogant boss. I also ended up not asking any more questions, I'm not trying to tire myself by being the only one talking. On our way back home the ride was too silent. Although I did not like it this way, I had no energy to change up the mood. However, Junaid seems to prefer the silence better, so I might as well start talking to annoy him.

"Hey," I turn to him, "Should we play a game?" I ask and he looks at me for a few seconds but says nothing. "How about the three questions game?" I continue even without his answer.

"You don't need to try so hard. Ask away." I see him smile a little.

"Really? Then, tell me about yourself. You said that you lost your parents when you were young too. Who have you been with?" I am curious to find more about his childhood. I think this way I will be able to know why he is the way he is.

"With my mother." He answers. At least he still has one parent alive.

"You don't live with her anymore? Is she back in Canada?" I ask and he nods. "Why didn't you go see her when we were there? She must've missed you." I point out and he doesn't say anything. I realize that he became a bit uncomfortable. I guess he isn't the family type. I should change the subject. "Why aren't you married yet?" I find myself asking. I hate to be nosy but there's no way stopping it.

"Do I have to?"

"Well, it's obligatory upon every Muslim."

"Why aren't you married yet?" He plays the same card as me.

"I'm still young, I guess," I say the first thing that comes to my mind.

"Should I use the same excuse?" He looks at me for a second.

"No," I answer and see him form a smile. "To be honest, I haven't yet found the one, I guess." I look at him, and God knows why I am even telling him this. I just feel like he is good to talk to. He listens and doesn't talk much. I like a two-way conversation but I don't mind a listener either.

"You believe in that?" He asks.

"In the one? Well...my brother asked me the same thing. I used to, but now I don't really know." I answer and he nods without saying a word. "What happened to your stitches?" I ask remembering his wound shot.

"Got them removed yesterday."

"How does Marcus know how to perform surgery?" I asked remembering that he was the one who took the bullet out and stitched him.

"He used to work in the secret forces. We had to learn to take care of each other."

"What is that?" My mind was blank at this point.

"It's like the military, just much tougher." He explains and I nod, although still confused. I will just look it up later and it might clear my confusion.

"You said 'we'. So you were there too?" I ask and he nods. "So you can perform surgery!?" I say, smiling childishly.

"Not any kind of surgery. We're not doctors." He clarifies.

"That's so cool, " I continue with a big smile as I look at him before noticing that he had stopped the car. We were at my house.

"How did you know I lived here?" I ask noticing we arrived way too soon.

"Your application."

"Does it also give you a short cut there?" I ask sarcastically.

"I'm familiar with this road." He answers. Hmm, okay, that makes more sense. I guess I can be less creeped out now.