➳ Chapter 4

➳ River - Chloe Moretz

Once Leon fed me. He told me a bit about himself and what my dad was like when he was younger.

"How old are you Skye?" Leon looked at me.

"I'm seventeen" I said with food in my mouth.

"So that means you're eighteen soon. How long?" What was with these questions?

"I'm eighteen in three weeks. Why?" I looked at him for answers.

"Well you should probably know, you have your first change on your eighteenth birthday. Three weeks. Oh god that is not long!"
My food flew our of my mouth and a cough for caught at the bottom of my throat.

"I'm going to have my first change?" I half shouted at him.

"Yes, but don't worry. I will help you with everything. You will be fine Skye, trust me"
I was lucky it was Friday so I had all weekend to get my head around the news.

"I better call Caleb" I said to myself.

We always called each other on Friday nights. I picked my phone up and I had three missed calls and two messages all from Caleb. What a surprise Ana my 'mum' doesn't care what I'm doing.

"Hey cal" I spoke into the phone.

"What the hell is going on Skye? I've been worried you haven't been answering"

"Oh yeah, sorry. I'm with a... a friend"

"A friend? You don't have any friends" Caleb sniggered into the phone.

"Hey! I have friends. Look I gotta go. See you on Monday?"

"Of course. I will pick you up bye Cloud" Before I could tell him I wasn't with Ana anymore he hung up.

I had to tell him what's happened. He is my best friend. And he would tell me. Wouldn't he?

I sat there for about two minutes before I heard Leon shouting my name.

"Skye, can you come down here for a moment I want you to meet my family"
Family? I jumped off the bed and ran down the stairs taking a few tumbles.

I walked into the room where Leon was standing with this women slightly younger than him and a girl about my age with brown hair.

"Hello Skye, this is my sister Jenni-" he pointed at the tall red headed women with hazel eyes "- and this is her daughter River"
The girl my age came up to me and shook my hand

"It's so nice to meet you" she had a sweet voice which made me automatically like her.

"I also have a son but he is never here always out. I'm surprised you aren't out today River?" Leon asked River.

"No I wanted to meet the famous Skye"

Famous? River looked at me and gave me a nice smile. She was pretty.
*
*
*
Me and River were together in the kitchen making drinks.

"So are you a wolf too?" I asked River wanting to know more and more.

"Yeah. I turned eighteen two months ago. You will be fine. You have Leon he is amazing with newbies" I just gave her a weak smile.
I was too tired to care, so decided to go to sleep.

"Night River"

"Night Skye" We exchanged hugs and I went to sleep.
*
*
*
It was Sunday evening and I got to be honest, I still haven't got my head around the whole 'when you turn eighteen you will be an alpha' thing.

Me and River have gotten really close. I'm going to introduce her to Caleb tomorrow since River decided she wanted to go to school. Jenni never really wanted her to go but she gave in knowing it would give her some space.

"So you ready for tomorrow?" I asked River whilst playing on the Xbox

"Yeah. I'm quite nervous to be honest" She answered truthfully.

"Yeah it would be. But don't worry you will fit right in. Caleb is lovely you will love him. But Eve, she is kinda like a slut. Just ignore all the bad remarks she says and you should be fine" I smiled at her and she gave me a reassuring smile back.
*
*
*
It was time for school and me and River were waiting for Caleb to pick us up.

I told him about Ana and that she wasn't my mum but I haven't told him about the whole wolf thing. I got knocked out of my thoughts with River shouting in my ear

"He's here Skye!" I didn't even hear the car beep.
*
*
*
When we got to school River wasn't in any of my classes which was disappointing but she was with Caleb which was good so they can get to know each other.

It was lunch and I caught up with River and Caleb. They seemed to be getting on well.

"Hey Cloud. I'm going to go to the toilet. Meet you in the cafeteria" Caleb walked off leaving me with River.

"So, you and Caleb look cosy" I winked at her.

"I got to admit. He is cute. And kind. And funny. Yes! He's perfect" She shouted.

"Hey hey! Calm down! If you like him good. But he is my best friend and if you hurt him I will hurt you" I gave her a playful glare.

"Hey you just threatened a wolf remember"

"Yeah but I'm going to be the Alpha so there" I stuck my tongue out at her. River stopped and started sniffing the air.

Like, I knew she was a wolf and everything but did she have to do all her doggy stuff in school.

"What are you doing River?"

"Shh" Did she just shush me! "I can smell another hound"

"What do you mean? Like another wolf?" I looked around. I didn't see anything. But she has 'super' smelling so I beleive her.
She looked around and landed on a group of boys.

Kai, Sam and Issac. The three weird brothers. I mean weird. They didn't talk to anyone but they were cocky and badass.

"What's up?" I turn to River.

"We shouldn't eat in here" River starts walking out. I catch up to her and grab her arm.

"What's the matter River? Tell me!"

"Those three brothers are from one of the strongest pack in America. Kai is their Alpha and he tried to kill me and my family. And if he sees me, oh trust me he would try and do it again"

"Why does he hate you so much?"

"Well when their dad was Alpha and your dad was Alpha, Kai's dad wanted to join packs with us to make a stronger pack. But your dad made the right decision and said no. But it didn't go down well.
Kai's dad and your dad fought till death and of course, your dad won. Kai and his pack were not happy. Once Kai was the Alpha he made our lives a living hell. He killed a lot of innocent wolfs including my dad." She stopped for a moment. "Once your dad... passed away, they stopped attacking but said as soon as they find anyone from our pack they won't hesitate to attack.
And at the moment we can't afford to fight since our Alpha is weak. But as soon as you turn eighteen we will have our true Alpha and we will be strong again" River looked at me. I had no idea that happened.
Why didn't Leon tell me?

"I don't think I can be Alpha" I just stared at my feet.

"What do you mean? You have to be"

"I mean. I only now found out that I'm going to be a wolf. I have no idea how to act like one" River just laughed.

"Act? You don't act. It comes naturally to you. Look like we said before you will be fine. Just don't go near Kai and his stupid brothers okay?"

"Fine"