Chapter Seventeen

***Shawn's POV***

"Welcome Father Fritswald and thank you for honoring our invitation."

"The pleasure is all mine sir."

"Great. Please have a seat."

"Thank you." I said taking a seat.

I would have said I was completely shocked as to why the council of priests sermoned me but that would have been a complete lie.

"We won't waste much of your time as we are all busy men ourselves so let's get to the reason why we called you here. We received some complaints from Father Matheo that you are not taking your duties seriously. He also said that you always make excuses for him to officiate mass when it's your turn to do that. You also go away for a week, sometimes two weeks without informing him and your reasons given to him he said are not reasonable. How true is this?"

"Ahhmm! First of all, I want to thank you for not just judging me with these allegations but you called to ask my side of the story, that, I am grateful for. I won't deny his allegations because they are true. I sometimes ask him to take over mass when I know it's my turn but I don't make excuses to make him do that. These past few weeks have been extremely busy . I had to go to New York to visit my sister because she was unwell due to her pregnancy and her husband was on a business trip so he pleaded with me to check up on her of which I asked permission from Father Matheo. Upon my return, I had to prepare for a wedding I was scheduled for and I........"

"Yeah a wedding he has asked me to officiate because he found it appropriate to drop a bomb on the groom that he wouldn't be able to do so just a week to the wedding." Father Matheo spoke out angrily from the far end of the table.

"And why will you do that father Fritswald? What is your reason for not wanting to officiate the wedding."

"I....I.....I..... I....didn't.....I..I didn't fi-find it appropriate to officiate my best friends wedding. I thought it will be a privilege for him to receive his wedding blessing from a seasoned priest like father Matheo."

"Well, we don't find that reasonable enough so you will be officiating the wedding.It's through this and your good works that will make you seasoned. We made you his assistant because we knew you could learn a lot from him but at the look of things, it's like you have rather made him your assistant and we don't like that. This is not the value we want to instill in you. We want you to be responsible, after all that's why you joined us isn't it?"

I nodded feeling uncomfortable with the direction this meeting was taking.

"We don't want to hear anymore complaints unless you want to leave us and you very well know what that entails."

I nodded again getting furious with father Matheo for bringing me into a hot seat.

"Good then, we don't want to hear any more complaints. We want you to work peacefully with Father Matheo and follow his instructions. When you are not well, inform him. That's how things work. That's all we have for you, a word to the wise is definitely enough. Do you have anything to say?"

"No."

"You are permitted to leave and thank you once again for honoring our invitation."

I nodded feeling relieved that it was over. I couldn't stand their intense gaze as if I was a wanted criminal.

Getting into my car, I took out my phone dialing Mike's number. There was no answer so I tried calling again hoping that I get lucky this time. He picked up on the fourth ring groaning painfully

"What do you want Shawn?"

"Hello, well I am fine thank you."

"Whatever. What is so important that you ruined my wet dreams?"