Chapter Thirty-Two

"So Emily what happened? Why are you being a single parent?"

"Excuse me?" she said amidst coughs as she felt chocked by her saliva. She took a sip of water from her glass feeling embarrassed by Mr. Taylor's intrusion

"What happened to the young man you conceived with? I am sorry to ask but I am curious. I know the young man you live with isn't their father. He just doesn't hold any resemblance to them.And-and you-you are too beautiful to be single parenting"

"Hmm I don't know why you are asking but yes, Micah isn't their dad and I am not ready to talk about their father yet. All I can say is that, I loved him but he hurt me real bad so I decided to forget about him."

She didn't realize she has unknowingly accepted that Shawn is their father. She has been thinking about that for awhile but she always pushes it away.

"How did he hurt you? Did he cheat on you?"

"No he didn't. But in a way he did. Can we just not talk about this?"

"Just one more question dear." She sighed. If it had been someone else, she would have stood up and left long ago but this was her boss and she sees him as a father figure and gives him that respect.

"Do you still love him?"

"No! Fortunately I don't."

"So if he showed up right now asking you back, you won't accept him?"

"Hmmm! I won't. Come on sir, I have not thought of the guy in two years." She said knowing very well that she was lying. She has been thinking of him every damn day especially when she is with her daughter. So holds an uncanny resemblance to him making it hard to believe that he is not their father.

"You have moved on so fast haven't you." He asked, earning a stare from her. He asked as if he knew her but she pushed the thought away. How on earth can he know her past unless he did a background check which she knows he wouldn't. She stared at her phone as if she was expecting a call or praying that someone loves her enough to call her just to get her out of this awkward moment.

Thankfully, her phone started ringing and she didn't waste anytime in answering it.

"Sorry it's the nanny I got to pick this."

"Hello Nancy!"

"What? Isn't Micah home yet...... Oh he is refusing to eat? why is that?..... okay don't force him I am coming home right now."

"Sorry sir, I have to go home. Junior is refusing to eat. I will just see what his problem is then get back to work. I am so sorry."

"It's okay Emily. Just take the day off."

"No sir, there is a lot that has to be done. I am not done reviewing the files you gave me this morning and that from the files room."

"Okay but take your time with my grandson."

"Thank you." She said, draining the remaining water in her glass.

She took a deep breath when she made it out. She felt calmer outside even in the hot sun than being in an air-conditioned restaurant where she felt like she is being interrogated. She mentally applauded herself for being brilliant. She has set a timer on her ringing tone when Mr. Taylor asked the first question so when it finally rang, it felt like a real phone call.

"Finally, I am out of that hot oven."

She hailed a taxi deciding to go home and check on her kids. That way, it won't be a a complete lie.

That is how she found herself going back to the office to work her ass out into the night. She had lost track of time until Mr. Taylor, the last person she expected to see at the moment came knocking on her door.