Prologue

Autumn pushes open the backdoor, leaving the warm heat of the bakery she worked at and into the cool September air. She pulls her jacket tighter and starts walking towards her apartment which is only a few blocks away.

It was abnormally cool tonight and she shivers, the wind chilling her bones. She quickly passes the local bar not wanting to get caught up with a drunken man all alone at night.

"Hey darling what's a pretty girl like you doing out here all alone?" She hears a voice slur behind her, instead of worrying about him since he is clearly too drunk to do anything she picks up her pace eager get away from the disgusting man.

She digs her heels into the sidewalk at the stop sign across from her apartment, letting out a sigh of relief before walking forward with a smile. She runs into something or someone which causes her to stumble back, but thankfully a hand reaches out and catches her before she falls onto the pavement.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry." She says trying to get a good look at the person in the dim lighting, she can barely make out a pair of green eyes and brown hair that is pushed back into a quiff.

"It's quite alright." He says kindly. He talked slowly, making sure to pronounce each word carefully, his voice a deep and raspy tone. "This might be strange but could I get your number? I mean a beautiful girl just doesn't run into you every day." He gives her a friendly smile that hides his dark thoughts. Autumn blushes and looks at the man shocked.

"Oh um yeah, my name is Autumn by the way." She stumbles over her words still dazed by the compliment he had given her. She pulls out a pen from her purse and clicks it to life as he holds out his large palm for her to write on.

"I'll see you around." He looks down at his hand happily then winks at her and walks away before Autumn could even ask for his name. She shakes her head then walks across the street to her shared apartment.

"Where have you been, you are usually back by now I was worried you got kidnapped or something." Autumn's best friend, Abi, yells and throws her arms around Autumn engulfing her in a hug.

" I'm fine Abi nothing happened. Goodnight." She pries Abi's arms off her body and walks down the hall to her room. She drops her purse on her dresser and hangs her coat up before changing out of her work uniform and into something comfortable. Her phone dings from her purse and she quickly digs it out and looks at the screen confused.

From:unknown number-
Sweet dreams darling, I'll be watching ;)

She gasps and looks up then walks over to the small window by her dresser. She watches a tall figure stand on the other side of the road staring towards her window. She quickly shuts her curtains feeling paranoid by the creepy text and silhouette outside. Her mind plays different types of scenarios trying to make sense of what just happened but she is too tired to even think of a reasonable explanation. Figuring she will worry about it in the morning she climbs into bed and snuggles into the warm blanket. Not long after she is pulled into unconsciousness with a pair of pale green eyes haunting her dreams.