Chapter thirty-two

~Taylor~

Thankfully, when I passed through Brooke's office on my way out to go get Maggie, I found it empty. I didn't even notice them leaving.

Now on my way back to the office with Maggie safely strapped in in the back of my car, I smile as she talks about Nicole, or Nikki, her best friend. She really has made my daughter happy. There was only one day she hasn't gotten in the car beaming, and that was because she got yelled at for running to me, ecstatic to tell me about her and Nikki's day. All the way up to my floor, not caring who gets on or off, she continues telling me very detailedly about what she drew today, instead of just showing me.

Kids, am I right?

"Magsters, I'll race you!" She giggles, taking off through the floor, beating my walking pace into Brooke's office, but not before pausing to give Alisha and Emma, who was leaning over Alisha looking at something on her desk, a hug.

"Haha! I beat you!!" She boasts, showing my her non existence muscles.

"That you di-" I stop laughing, my eyes widening when I see not only Brooke and Zayn, but Darcy too. "Maggie, come here." I tell her, letting out a sigh of relief when she automatically hides behind my legs. She's not a fan of new people.

Zayn's eyes shine with anger, looking between me and the tiny human tucked behind my legs.

"Taylor, what a lovely surprise. You have a daughter, I'm shocked." Sarcasm practically drips off Darcy's tongue, making me gulp.

"Darcy!" Brooke gasps. "You don't know what hap-"

"No. No B, it's fine. I know what she thinks of me." I interrupt.

"We're done here. Miss Lucas, I'll show you out." Brooke tells her, obviously mad.

"What about my fiance?" She asks, making sure to emphasize the word fiance, glaring at me.

"I need to speak with him a bit longer. But friend or not, I will not have anyone insulting one of my employees and friends." Brooke says, very sternly. On the way out, she kneels down, giving Maggie a hug. "Hey cutie pie."

"Hi auntie B!" She beams. I can't help but smile at my daughter. She too adorable.

Brooke leaves, leaving Zayn, Maggie, and myself.

"So..." I start awkwardly, rocking back and forth on my feet.

All of the sudden, Maggie darts out from behind my legs, literally knocking on Zayn's leg.

He looks down at her, shocked. She holds her hands up, reaching for him to pick her up. Instead, he rubs his neck nervously, glancing up at me. I shrug, making him gulp. He slowly leans down, picking her up, looking both uncomfortable and scared. He gulps again, as Maggie simply stares at him. Even I'm getting kind of freaked out...

"Maggeroo, whatcha doing over there?" I ask hesitantly. She whips her head around to me, nodding.

"Mommy, he's pretty." She pokes Zayn's cheek, making the corners of his lips lift just a bit.

"Why thank you!" He smiles brightly at my daughter. "You are too. You look exactly like your mama, princess."

"Does that mean you think my mommy is pretty too?"

That gets a real smile out of him, as he relaxes a bit. "I suppose it does." She nods one time, very aggressively.

"Good."

I can't help but laugh at that.

"I have a question." She states, very seriously.

He smiles at her. "Yeah? What's that?"

"Who was the big scary lady?"

My eyes widen at her question.

"Maggie!" I gasp. "You can't ask someone that!"

"But mommy!" She drawls out. "She was scary, and mean to you. I think... I didn't really get anything she was saying. I mean, of course it wouldn't be shocking you have me. You are the best mommy in the world, and the big birdies obviously knew that when they flew me to you..." Wait wha- "But, Auntie B was mad at her, so yeah." Maggie rambles.

Zayn laughs at her. "She was no one."

My eyebrows furrow at him. No one? They are engaged. One of them had to have proposed, and he either did it, or said yes. That isn't a 'no one' situation.

Asshat.

"I didn't know fiance's were nobodies now." I sneer.

"Mommy, what's a fiance?" Mags asks, from her place on Zayn's hip.

"Maggie Bear, do you remember Uncle Jakey's boyfriend?" Zayn's eyes widen when I say that. "Or Auntie Hails' girlfriend, Polly?" Hailey got a girlfriend last month, and she already loves Maggie. "Well it's like that, but one step closer to being... together... for life." I take a deep breath, choking on my words. I guess I never really thought about it that way until I started explaining it.

Maggie immediately turns her little body as much as she can, crossing her arms and glaring at Zayn, but her bottom lip trembles. His eyes widen as he obviously sees it too. He looks to me with frantic eyes. "What do I do? What did I do? What's happening? Why is her face like that?" He asks, just as she bursts out crying. He holds her out for me, but I smirk and shake my head.

"Nope. That is all you. Plus, didn't you have two younger siblings?"

"Yeah, but I lived with my dad when they were at this age!!" Ali and Emma enter the room, with Brooke not far behind, just in time to see Zayn place Maggie back on his hip, bouncing up and down softly. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry princess. You wanna tell me what's wrong?" He asks softly, making my heart swell.

He sits down on the floor with his legs crossed, her sitting in his lap, leaning back against his chest.

I never thought I'd be jealous of my own goddamn daughter.

"You don't want to be with my mama." Maggie huffs.

"Hm... well, that's a good reason to be upset. Can I let you in on a little secret?" She nods excitedly. He softly smiles, leaning closer to her, and whispering something in her ear, that leaves a huge smile on her face.

"Really?" She gasps, joy in her voice.

What did he tell her?

"Mhmm." He nods.

"Maggie Bear, what did he tell you?" I ask, trying to get it out of her to cure my curiosity.

Maggie shakes her head, leaning further back against Zayn. "It's a secret mama. Secrets have to be kept." She states, very matter-o-factly. I scowl at my daughter and her stupid kindness.

"Whatever. I didn't wanna know anyways." I huff, making everyone laugh. Zayn's familiar, yet totally unfamiliar laugh makes a smile crawl onto my face.

I swear my cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

Brooke clears her throat, motioning for everyone to leave, except me. Zayn walks out with Maggie happily waving over his shoulder. "Taylor..." Brooke begins. I hum in response, wanting her to continue because of how serious she sounds. "You uh, you were requested. To be, transferred, to one of our partnering companies." She mutters. The smile on my face completely drops.

"What?"