promise

"Promise me that you will make me your husband soon..."

"Uhn. I promise, so meet me when that time comes."

The same dream haunted me for two decades and more - a boy promising someone to become his partner.

Apart from that scene where I promised a kid for marriage, I do not remember anything beyond - and even if it was close to real, I never tried to inquire if whatever happened was true or ... not. I just shook it off as something too surreal to be true. I am a man and I still consider myself as one and being such, I wouldn't promise anything like marrying a boy even if I was young. But now it all changed because Bright here just told me that I promised to marry him when I was young.

But then again, I don't know. I really don't remember anything.

I closed my eyes tightly, my brows slowly furrowing in the process as I dig into the deepest of my childhood memories.

"Win, we're going!" I turned to the wide-opened door of my father's study and saw my mom smiling at the entrance. I smiled back and nodded. I neatly returned my plastic brontosaurus toy back to the make-shift Jurassic habitat on the other side of the room, bid my goodbyes telling them 'not to fight' and followed after my mom.

We are actually planning to have fun today. But they cancelled the 'fun' on the last minute when we received a call a few days back. It was an invitation for a birthday party. I immediately agreed when I found out that it was a birthday party for my friend from the day-care. It was because I really want to celebrate his birthday with him because he only got a dad and isn't it lonely? His mom went to heaven and he and his dad are now alone.

"Mom, the gift... the gift!" I tugged on my mom's sleeve, another dinosaur model on my hand. "The gift that we bought for Saint." I jumped in excitement, pulling my mom's sleeve asking her to walk faster to the car.

She chuckled, leaning over to pat my head. "It's already in the car baby." she said, fixing the bow-tie on my neck. "Are you ready?" she asked which I nodded immediately.

"Let's go!"

I heaved a sigh. My head leaned over the window of the backseat of our car. The excitement I felt while watching as the scenery shifted from one to another was out of this world. I often wonder, 'are the clouds really following us?' or 'are we the one moving or are the trees outside chasing after us?'

"We're here." I turned to my mom in the front seat and propped myself up, looking around. There was a big, sky-scraping, Corinthian-styled building ahead and two old Wisteria's in front. Dad took a detour inside its gate, the pavement lathered with violet colored Wisteria flowers, and the arc full of yellow-colored flowers. 'Whoaaa~!' my mouth hanged ajar as I panned my eyes from the green landscape to the beautiful flowers that decorated the place.

We parked in the front, together with the multitude of cars that were neatly parked in place; judging by the cars that were parked in there, there were already people inside. I took a deep breath and nervously fixed my bowtie, expecting that there were already a lot of kids inside.

I later discovered that birthday for well-adorned families are business meetings.

"What's happening, dad. Why are there a lot of people in Saint's birthday?" I asked frowning, obviously disappointed. I expected kids but I got old people in return. The cars in front were owned by old people and there were no kids inside the place – in contrast with what I expected.

I wore a scowl while I marched together with my parents in the red carpet on the way inside the hotel.

"Baby, don't wear that face. Or Saint will be sad." my mom said, trying to appease my disappointment. I mean, who wouldn't? I was planning to make a lot of friends but because there was nothing but old men, I cannot now. "I'm sure there will be kids inside. Hmm?" she went on which prompted me to give her a slight nod and a loose smile.