┊01. 平和

i.
peace

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

e r i n

there are many things that i would like to say to you but i don't know how. because maybe you're gonna be the one that saves me. and after all you're my won—

bigla ko nalang naramdamang may nakabanga ako kaya napatigil ang kanta na pinapakinggan ko. at sa favorite part ko pa talaga sya nag decide na tumigil, huh.

i glanced at my phone to check whether i have finally drained my battery but seeing that my earphones got unplugged —surely, that wasn't the case.

"i'm sorry." i heard a voice say. galing sa harap ko.

looking up, there stood a tall guy. maybe a foot taller than me, raven hair, blue eyes, with an expression i couldn't understand. was he mad i was in the way? i don't know. was he apologizing? maybe. but his face said otherwise.

"did i break it?" he asked, looking at my unplugged earphone.

i shook my head. "i don't think so." i said as i attempt to do the japanese accent i've been practicing for years. akalain mo nga naman. hindi ko na need ng subtitles.

"wonderwall.." narinig 'kong bulong nya.

"e-eh? i'm sorry?"

"the song.."

realizing that the song was still playing, i immediately paused it. he knows the song?

"you must have a good taste in music." i complimented. "it's oasis."

observing his uniform he must be from the high school around here. hanep, i didn't know high school boys like him would listen to a late 90s american song ha. please, i'm not stereotyping. i'm just purely dumb.

"not reall—" he couldn't finish his sentence when a group of high school students called to him. he gave them a quick nod before turning back his attention to me. "again, i'm sorry for the trouble." he bowed to me before hurrying to his friends.

pero he didn't really give me a trouble though? natuwa pa nga ako't na-experience ko i-practice yung pasabog 'kong japanese accent eh.

anyways as the sun was setting, i watched him and his friends walk away in black school uniforms. a sight i only thought i'd see in the many animes i've watched. a sight i never thought i'd get to see with my own eyes. it looks so cool.

so that's what high school students look like huh?

dang, they're so tall. people my age weren't that tall in my country. my height is usually considered an average in the philippines but why did i feel so small in front of that guy?

sighing, i grabbed the handle of my luggage and began walking to the place from now on i'll call home.

(everything's ready! from your kitchen to your bedroom, i've arranged everything! do you like it? because i loved it! sayang, i'm sorry i'm not there to welcome you to your home anak.)

"it's alright ma. i understand." i said while arranging my clothes in the closet. "and i love the place. thank you for arranging it for me."

(i already thought you how to commute to your school right? are you sure you don't want to transfer to karasuno? it's nearer to your apartment.)

i sighed. "how many times do i have to repeat myself ma? transferring schools in a quick notice is a lot of work and besides i'm fine with commuting. lumaki kaya ako sa pinas."

(i know but i just don't want you to have a hard time. pumanaw na nga ang papa mo, wala pa ako sa tabi m—)

"ayan nanaman tayo ma. i told you i'm okay. there's nothing to worry about. i'll be fine."

before she could speak, i heard a child calling for her in the background which i'm guessing must be my step brother. (sigurado ka dyan erin ha.)

"of course ma. now go, he needs you. and i need to rest up for tomorrow."

(alright. love you.)

"love you too."

after ending the call, tinuloy ko na tapusin ang pag-ligpit sa mga damit ko. pagkatapos, naligo na din ako at humiga sa kama habang naka-titig sa ceiling.

who would've guess i would actually use the language i learned just for fun? miski ako hindi ko inakala na mangyayari to. it's weird that i'm actually speaking japanese. specially awhile ago, that was the first time i spoke to a japanese guy on my own.

sure i've visited japan many times before, but most of the time i spent here, i was with my mom. i wasn't actually doing the talking. but now it's different. and tomorrow i will be living a life i didn't think i'd get to experience. to become an exchange student... that was a dream i used to have as a kid.

napa-buntong hininga nalang ako habang nagiisip.

but.. at what cost?

if my father didn't pass away, will my mom still take me? will i get the chance to live here? will i have the dream life i once hoped when i was a kid?

it's a bittersweet feeling. but i have to deal with it because this is my reality now.

i just hope i find the joy my mom wants me to feel in living here.

___

i forgot to mention:

if the texts appear like this - it means they're speaking japanese.

if texts appear like this - it's either they're speaking in english or in tagalog.

(if there's a parenthesis) - it means they're in a call.