┊02. 徹

ii.
toru

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

e r i n

to say that i'm nervous would be an understatement. hell, i was trembling i could barely keep my legs function. hindi ko alam na ganito pala ka-nerve wrecking ang mag-introduce sa harap ng klaseng magkaka-kilala na.

"come on in!" the teacher called.

i took a deep breath and tried calming myself for the last time before entering the classroom. it felt like everyone's eyes were glued onto me. not because they find me attractive, but it's probably because they thought the new student's going to be a japanese as well.

"good morning." i began. "i'm erin, i grew up in the philippines and this is my first time studying in japan. n-nice to meet you all." i said before bowing in front of them. subconsciously, i patted myself because of how i managed not to stutter considering this is the only second time i spoke japanese without any help.

the teacher looked at me as if he was expecting me to say something more. should i say more? but i don't want to over share information. they couldn't care less anyway.

"i'm done." i whispered to him. i didn't mean to sound annoyed but i did and he got startled.

he smiled at me and pointed me to my seat. it wasn't at the very far back like where all main protagonists of anime shows sat, it was near the wall, in between the two windows.

kung minamalas ka nga naman. pader lang ang view ko.

after settling down in my chair, the class began. i'm usually into class lectures but because it's not in my native language, i found it difficult to enjoy. but then again even my classmates don't seem to enjoy lectures too and they're japanese.

i sighed. i guess this is my life now.

t o r u

     "i'm sure everyone has heard the american phrase love at first sight. does anyone have an idea of the similar phrase we have for it in japan?" the teacher asked.

as always, the class remained silent that i almost felt bad for the teacher. it's usually like this during the morning classes and it didn't help that our first class was always the foreign language.

"girls do that to me all the time. right, iwa-chan?" i whispered.

"stop being so full of yourself this early in the morning." he said, irritated as usual.

i swear he'll age faster if he keeps on frowning like that. "but it's the trut—"

"what's the answer to my question, oikawa-kun?"

i wasn't able to finish my sentence when the teacher called me. wait what was her question again? i forgot.

i knew she was talking about the phrase love at first sight.. was she asking for the japanese version of it? right. that must be her question. "if you're asking for the direct translation of the phrase it's 'hitomebore'," i smiled. "but if you're referring to our own version of the phrase it would be 'koi no yokan'."

"as expected, oikawa-kun." she gave me a satisfied smile before returning her attention to the whole class. "the phrase 'koi no yokan' is untranslatable. it's the feeling upon first meeting someone that you will inevitably fall in love with them. kinda like a premonition."

as she continued with the lecture, i turned my attention at the window and found myself staring outside.

a premonition huh... i wonder when will that be.

by the way, i'm sorry if the chapter lengths are inconsistent and short at times. in the latest chapters i've wrote, it's better i promise.