┊9. 実習

ix.
practice

— ˗ˋ ୨୧ ˊ˗ —

e r i n

once again, the ball went straight to the ground before kindaichi can even make any contact with it. the moment he realized he failed hitting it again, he fell on the floor groaning. asking the air why he couldn't spike the ball. pero bakit nga ba? i'm pretty sure i explained everything i do to him but why is the timing always off?

"i don't understand how you and oikawa-san do it." he said before ruffling his spiked hair. come to think of it.. his hair reminds me of a turnip.

"honestly, i don't understand what you're doing wrong either." nag-isip ako saglit. "hmm.. maybe it's because of the t—"

"it's the toss." a very familiar voice, once again, spoke behind me. buti nalang, napigilan ko yung sarili ko na suntukin siya. 'kung hindi nako, baka napa-bye bye na ko dito sa gym ng wala sa oras.

the captain walked towards a spare ball and demonstrated what i was just about to say. "you've been doing the toss with your two hands which gives the ball less spin. for players like erin-chan and i, we find it easier to toss with both of our hands because it gives us more control."

he gave the ball to kindaichi. "try tossing with just your left hand."

we watched as kindaichi threw the ball with his left hand and surprisingly, approached the ball at the right time, successfully spiking the ball at the opposite direction. kindaichi couldn't help but to exclaim comically as he throw his fists in the air.

"you did it!" i cheered for him but my smile faded when i realized it wasn't my teaching that got kindaichi to do the serve, it was oikawa's.

then.. what have i been teaching him for the past 3 hours? pano tumalon? pano mag sayang ng oras ganon?

tch. kainis.

"you've been teaching him what works for you that probably doesn't work for him, erin-chan." oikawa bent down to my height and whispered to my ears. "are you sure you're here to actually teach him or you're just here because you want to be around me?" he slyly said.

wow ang kapal.

"bold of you to assume i'm here for you." i scoffed as i took a few steps back, "if there's a person i would want to see, it's not you."

immediately, oikawa looked offended. "then who?"

smirking, i glanced at the 5'10 man standing behind him looking completely clueless as to why i chose to make an eye contact with him. "it's your ace, iwaizumi-senpai."

a u t h o r

to say that oikawa felt heartbroken was an understatement. he had many reasons why he felt that way but it's mostly because the girl he's absolutely smitten to may have possibly confessed that she's attracted to his teammate. of all the names she could say, she just had to choose his childhood friend's.

"get over it, shittykawa. she's obviously teasing you." the ace said in an attempt to comfort his dejected best friend.

"what if she's not?" the captain said.

"trust me, she is. besides, i don't know her. it's not like something's gonna happen if she was serious."

iwaizumi's right though. erin was just trying to get on the captain's nerves and she did. for some reason, when it comes to oikawa, erin often feels competitive against him. she didn't know when or how, but she likes winning against him.

and today, she won.

"stop acting so heartbroken and pack up. you've had enough self-practice today." iwaizumi didn't bother changing his clothes and slid his duffle bag on his shoulders. "let's leave."

the captain sighed before putting back the volleyball he used in the basket. 'he's right.' he thought. 'there's no way she actually means what she said.. right?'

the chocolate haired boy tried not to read into it too much and thought of other things. that's right. so when he recalled the way erin called him by his name, just like that, his once glum expression had now transformed into a bright one.

"let's go, iwa-chan?" he said to his friend, skipping as he walk towards the door of their gym.

that left iwaizumi dumbfounded. he was sure oikawa looked discouraged seconds ago but what happened, maybe he blinked too slow? maybe he blacked out that when he regained consciousness, oikawa was back to normal?

or maybe, that's just the way erin affects him?

'that's scary.' he thought before leaving the gym.