Chapter 26

It was the morning of the battle. Everyone was eating breakfast together and the tension could be cut with a knife.

Viktor just glared at Selene from across the table as Ulfric watched. Selene just tried to keep her focus on her food and keeping calm, knowing that letting her emotions get the better of her wouldn't be wise.

The battle was set for noon and once breakfast was done, Selene went and sat with Virgil. She tried to talk to him and keep her emotions down still.

* * * *

Around noon, everyone had shown up. Aeron and Rand, Lilith and Stormy, Marrok and Selene's parents; Milly and Steve for support of Selene. While Davis, Gavin and even Madison came for support to Viktor. Of course Ulfric and Ralph were there as well.

{ ⋆ Ulfric (King) ⋆ } *turns to his Beta* Did you make the outline for the battle ground?

{ ⋆ Ralph (Beta) ⋆ }*nods* Yes, and I even placed the wolfsbane... remind me to make you do that next time. *glares at his Alpha playfully*

{ ⋆ Ulfric (King) ⋆ } *chuckles and pats his best friend on his shoulder* Alright, I'll get the next one.

Everyone was standing on the back porch of the Alpha King's home with Selene's support on one side with Selene, and Viktor and his support on the other. Ulfric turned towards the groups and looked at them.

{ ⋆ Ulfric (King) ⋆ } Ok, this here is the "to the death" holmgang to determine who has right to the position for next Alpha King. First opponent is Viktor who was the original seat holder but was removed due to being unfit. The second opponent is Selene, standing in place for Virgil, who would be the one to hold the seat due to blood lineage.
  Before we begin, there are some rules that need to be declared and upheld. Since this is a more extreme holmgang from the standard ones in the past, this has some added rules as well. *clears his throat and reads off a few sheets of papers*

1. To win the battle, you MUST kill your opponent and bring their lifeless body back here to the house, (or at least an identifiable part like a head).

2. ABSOLUTELY NO ONE but the two opponents may be inside the battle grid. Anyone caught within the grid, will be sentenced to death, no matter who's side wins.

3. Anything within the battle goes, that means even using underhanded tricks. Note: this rule does NOT trump any other rule, no matter what.

4. Both opponents must remain inside the battle grid until either one is dead. The battle grid is a 20 by 20 mile square of thickly dense and thin forestry. Wolfsbane has been set around the border which when passes will render the wolf unable to move and to be put to death for cowardice.

5. If both sides are still alive by the end of the battle time period, the one who is the least dead, will be declared the winner and the other will be put down.

6. The battle will start at noon today and will end by noon the following day.

7. A horn will be blown to signal the start of the battle, and one to end it. Once the battle end signal is heard, opponents are to make their way here, as fast and as best as they can.