十六✾

The usefulness of my thoughts evaporated some time ago yet my mind churns on in the darkness like a runaway motor. When I start trying to do math with curry in my head that I know things are bad. This sleeplessness is my torture. While the rest of the world embraces their dreams, their eight hours of rest, I toss and turn digesting the events that had taken place.

Sun rays come as nature's easel, giving brilliant color to what was hidden even under the passing starlit night. I got up from my futon and stretched, taking in the morning light.

I proceeded with my morning routine (taking a bath, making a small breakfast, and putting on a traditional Yukata). I walked back towards my room to see Ichijiro, just waking up. He opened his eyes and lifted his head up and rubbed his eyes.

"Morning Ichijiro," I replied as I smiled.

He looked towards me and smiled.

"Ready to go see mommy and daddy?" I asked.

He nodded. I smiled and picked him up. It was kind of peculiar that he didn't jump and anything. Did he really feel that protected?

I walked over to the front of my home and put on my sandals.

"Personal reminder: Build a shoji later..." I thought to myself. I wanted to make it clear to Konro and Benimaru that I wanted nothing to do with them anymore. The fact that they saw my power and still didn't want me to join the brigade gave me the answer that I didn't want. Staying in Asakusa would only mark me to be what Benimaru wants me to be, a housewife.

The need for women to be submissive spills over into other realms in this town and I get that the proto-nationalist views are in place for us to not be westernized by the outside parts of Japan but the views here should be laxed enough that women can work equally side by side with men. Regardless of the job-and that was clearly indicative of yesterday's event. If I didn't know how to fight or protect myself against an Infernal, Ichijiro would have been dead along with myself...they would have been looked down upon.

"Tch," I muttered while walking through the streets towards Ichijiro home.

"Thank you, ~riri~" Ichijiro said as he hugged my neck. I glanced down at him and smiled a bit.

"No problem," I replied, "And if you ever feel scared, you let me know."

Ichijiro nodded as he laid his head on my shoulder causing me to smile at his interaction. He was really a sweet kid.

"Ichijiro, can you keep a secret?"

He nodded as he looked up at me.

"Can you not tell your mommy and daddy about yesterday?" I asked.

"Hm?" Ichijiro said while turning his head slightly out of confusion.

"Tell them that Beni and ~roro saved you from the big bad demon," I said, "Can you keep this a secret, please?"

"Okay!" Ichijiro cheered.

"Pinky promise?" I asked as I raised my pinky while holding him with my other hand. He brought his pinky up. We both locked our pinkines together to signify our promise had been made. By doing this, I knew Ichijiro wasn't going to break is promise to me.

"Hey Inori!" someone called out.

I turned my head towards the person and smiled. It was Ichijiro's mother at the door waving towards us.

I put Ichijiro down and saw him running towards his mother as she smiled and scooped him up into her arms and spun him around.

"Inori, wait here for a second so I can pay you!" Ichijiro's mother said.

"Don't worry about it," I replied as I bowed respectively, "I love Ichijiro!"

"Are you sure!" she asked.

"Yeah," I replied as I turned around to head back him until I heard a cry and felt little arms wrap around my legs. I looked down to see Ichijiro pursuing his lips in annoyance. Oh how much of a routine this was causing me to laugh. It happened everytime I dropped him off back at his moms.

"Don't pursed your lips, your handsome face will look like a duck," I teased as his face turned red and he turned his head to the side. I kneeled to his height and hugged him.

"Make sure to take care of your family okay!" I said while poking his forehead. His cheeks instantly flushed to the color of scarlet causing me to chuckle at his behavior and get up from his height and wave off.

Innocent children, such as Ichijiro shouldn't have to suffer in this world.

I continued to walk and wave at everyone around. Each person I waved towards, I realized were people that I know I would miss when I leave near the end of this year but this had to be done.

I was so distracted that I didn't even realized that I was close to bumping into someone. I quickly stopped and glanced up from the chest to meet the mismatched eyes of the man who declared himself 'Shinmon Benimaru"

I simply turned my head away from his neutral expression and wanted to quickly make my way to my home. But I knew Benimaru wasn't going to let that happen and I was right the moment I felt his hand grab my arm. I didn't make any motion to fight him given that many of the villagers were looking at us. The older women were gossiping about this, the younger women were looking at him with those loving eyes, the men were paying no mind to the situation.

"I was looking all over for you," Benimaru said in a rather lazy way.

"Oh really," I sarcastically stated while rolling my eyes. Why the hell couldn't he just leave me alone, "I wouldn't think you would want to associate with someone who wants to be an Imperial lap dog."

"Well you aren't one yet," he mumbled, "But I do owe you a true explanation as to why I don't want you apart of the Hikeshi Brigade."

"I don't care to hear it," I said, "You are always shrugging off people and when I want to shrug you away, you cling to me like damn honey."

"Honey is delicious," Benimaru said.

"You hate sweets."

"Hm," Benimaru chuckled, "Man, you were never like this when we were children, Inori, did your hatred for me make you like this? So, innocent yet mysterious."

I remained silent why looking at him. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction to that answer. In fact, I think silence was the best way to deal with Benimaru.

"Can you let go?" my timbre voice rang among the bustling streets of Asakusa.

He did just that as I proceeded to continued to walk to my home. I knew he was right behind me, following me. Why couldn't he just leave me alone?