七十一

From his stare, I just know he wants to interrogate me about my attack but honestly, now wasn't the time.

I turned around from him and began to walk away and Benimaru rushed to his feet to follow beside me and Joker behind his. Every step I took forward was the moment of that man telling me about my teammate and the possible abuse they could be going through.

I blinked to try to get those terrible possibilities out of my head, compartmentalized them, and stored them away for them to be erased once my mind is at ease.

Feeling a slight squeeze, I glance down at my hand to see Benimaru's hand intertwined with mine. I glance towards him to see him look at me.

Suddenly, he pulled me back.

"You go on ahead, I need to speak to Inori on something," he said to Joker yet his eyes were focused sternly on me. For a man who divulged himself in enjoying some peace and quiet whenever he got the chance, he sure was talkative tonight. I couldn't help but be impatient at the fact that he wanted his answers urgently but time was of the essence.

Joker simply whistled and walked into the church as Benimaru never broke his gaze on me.

"Explain to me what you just did," Benimaru said as he shot an impatient look.

"Why can't you just accept that I will explain later?" I said a bit annoyed at his interrogation. I know the tone of the conversation was going to be a serious one, but lives were now at stake.

"Because the fact that you have more power than your project will make you a target of Holy Sol Temple."

"It was bound to happen, kidnapping Akira and Ichi was the icing on the cake," I responded, "I suggest you stop with this interrogation and continue with assisting Joker's plan especially since my teammates are now a factor in this plan."

Benimaru makes an impatient sound at the back of his throat and cocks his eyebrow at my command but soon sighed, "Fine, but you and I aren't done on this topic."

I turned back around towards the entrance with Benimaru following beside me while taking care of the guards with a flick of his fingers. It didn't take any time at all before we caught up with Joker and busted the doors open of the Holy See.

"Did we run them all out or what?" Benimaru asked as he looked back at the entrance.

"They are down below aren't they?" I questioned.

"That's correct," Joker asked.

"Below?"

"In the nether," I responded.

"I thought it was off-limits to the Holy Sol Temple and how do you know that?" Benimaru questioned.

"As the captain of the secret task force that must act, we are given classified information about every nook and cranny of the Fire force and anything associated with it along with any enemies deemed a threat to the church. From what I know, the Nether is home to the Holy Sol's Shadow-a group of assassins that serves the Holy Sol Temple and performs jobs of eliminating enemies of the Church and Infernals when the Special Fire Force cannot be involved or when my group is tasked with another mission-something they have been throwing on to us much more recently than before as a possible way to distract us from something."

I glanced to see Benimaru glancing at my figure before sighing.

Joker kicked the altar to the side and began walking down the steps leading towards the nether. Soon I followed before being stopped by Benimaru. It was natural for him to be protective, especially on information he didn't even know.

"Why the hell do you both know about all this? And how can you guarantee that Inori's comrades are there?" he questioned.

"Because yours truly loves the dark as much as they do and in the dark things can be well hidden so why not bring something you don't want to be found there?" Joker questioned back.

As much as it pained me, I yanked my arm out of his grip. It didn't take a genius to know that clicked his tongue out of frustration, furrowing his brows at my action but just followed not wanting to take a chance in messing this up and actually trusting me- so to meet in the middle of these conflicting thoughts he settled for a glare at the back of my head while he ran a hand down his hair out of annoyance-but yet love makes you do crazy things.

"I am tired of the secrecy," Benimaru voiced, "tell me who you are. So far I have been willing to play along with you, but depending on what you say next-I may have to end this game."

I knew that was directed to Joker, Benimaru did voice he only came because I agreed to go but from the seriousness of his tone he was going to pull out of this probably focus on getting my comrades and then heading out.

"I am not one to focus on the past, does it really bother you that much?" Joker questioned.

That tone did it as it triggered Benimaru as he grabbed joker and pressed him against the wall. 

"I meant what I said," Benimaru threatened.

Soon Joker pushed his arm away and began to walk as Benimaru and I followed. As he went on about his story, I began to reminisce on the moments Akira, Ichi, and I went through and how we had combed through the information about this place the day Joker met us at our home. 

"Something about you wanting Benimaru and myself to help you tells me this is personal for you..." 

"Because it is."

"Did they build this in the nether?"

"Actually this facility already uses old ruins that were already down here."

As Benimaru and Joker were speaking, the pain in my thigh was searing as if someone was burning my leg off. I couldn't exactly afford for Benimaru to react to my pain so I just remained quiet and clutched my fist, drawing small drops of my blood in the process.

"Where are you guys..."

"Listen to those rats scurry."