A Trip Down Memory Lane

Olga is on a trip down memory lane.

Their conversation took an unexpected turn when Tin asked how she knew Can's grandmother.

Looking back to the struggling years she had, the aggravating news of knowing her one true friend Letizia passed away then the moment she loses her precious boy made her tear up every single time. She recollect herself before continuing her story.

Wiping the tears with the palm of her hands, Olga gather the courage to continue.

"Later that day, I got an unknown number calling my phone. Out of curiosity, I answer it and to my  surprise I heard Andy's voice from the other end of the line." Olga said.

"He called you?" Tin asked. "What for?" He continued.

"Apparently, Letizia had enough of Andy. She unintentionally mentioned to him that I am pregnant." She look at Tin, then messes his hair. "So he called to confirm if what Letizia told her is true." She smile bitterly. "I told him the truth, and to my surprise he was happy about it. Andy sounds happy and excited."

Tin scowl after hearing it.

"Yeah he is happy. Surely he is." Tin's sarcasm is way too obvious.

"Believe it or not Tin, he is happy I can tell for sure." She tries to convince him. "But from that point on things gets more complicated than it already is."

Their conversation is put to a halt when Alice appear out from nowhere.

"Baby boy, what do you want for dinner?" Alice asked Tin as he make his approach.

"Alice! Jesus Christ!" Olga said after being startled.

The sky turn crimson.

It's almost forty minutes past five in the afternoon.

"Mom, can you cook for me?" Tin interrupted her.

Olga's face lit up in happiness, she caress Tin's face. "Of course you silly! Tell me what you want and I'll make it special just for you."

"I want your congee that you always cook whenever I feel down." Tin answered her.

"Are you feeling melancholy?" Olga's face is worried. "Is something bothering you that you want to share?"

"No not at all. But I just wanted to taste it. Whenever I felt down or like wanted to give up I wanted to have your congee as my comfort food. The cook in the palace made me congees but none can rival with your cooking." He smiled.

Olga check the fridge and luckily she has all the ingredients. Not much but at least it will be enough to make at least two servings based on her estimate. She quickly wash them and started heating the casserole. Her excitement is seen on her gestures as she started cooking.

After a few minutes of waiting she did one final check the taste and consistency.

Steam escape as the cover of the casserole is lifted.

An indulging smell emanates from the kitchen that makes one mouth water. She taste it and add few more pepper and a pinch of salt to season before turning of the stove.
From the dish drainer she grab a couple of bowl and started to garnish it after putting a decent serving of what she cooked.
Placing it on the table where a boy now much taller and no longer skinny patiently awaits for her to serve the food.

For the first after years of separation, Olga is once more cooking for his dear boy. The view of Tin happily eating her simple congee dish that she used to cook for him melted her heart and tears begin to flood from his eyes again.