{Chapter Eighty-Seven}

*Mallory*

"So, have you decided what you're gonna do about your mom's funeral?" Vince asked as he tucked Skylar in.

Thankfully she's sleeping after that biopsy. She looks a little better, and doctor's say there's a chance the chemo is helping a bit.

Nikki was out running errands, as well as figuring out about the missing crib we have yet to have delivered to us, and Mick was at home resting. His surgery has already been scheduled in a week.

I'm almost 8 months pregnant and thankfully things are still looking positive and well.

I sighed as I watched Skylar sleep, Sharise sitting next to me.

"I don't know.... I mean.... I don't want to pay for anything either, really, I just want to forget it and get past it.... That woman ruined my life, and I had already cut her off my life and my family and everything, she's literally nothing to me anymore.... Yet...." I said, deep in thought.

Sharise looked at me curiously. "What's on your mind, hun?"

I took a deep breath, and looked down at Jelly Bean. "I can't help but keep thinking.... What kind of example is that setting for my child?" I said, running my hand over Jelly Bean. "A good or bad one?"

Sharise seemed to understand as she pursed her lips. "You got a point.... That is a tough thought...."

I sighed and just rested back on the chair, looking back at Skylar.

"I mean, don't get it wrong," I said. "We've all definitely done a lot of bullshit in our time, but.... This is a lot different from snorting 10 grams of cocaine we stole in Dallas from some cowboys, a bar riot in Atlantic City, cat fight on a bus, throwing a bottle of Jack in a bullet train, or anything like that.... This is different.... This is something that sticks to your conscience way more than stupid drunk decisions."

"Did you two ever have that thought when expecting Sky?" I asked.

Sharise and Vince looked at each other and Vince looked down a bit.

"A few times.... Honestly, the one thing I can say that my parents told me is that...." Sharise said, then sighed. "There's no such thing as being 100% perfect parents."

I looked at her curiously.

"You know, MJ, you just gotta do whatever you think feels right," Vince added with a bit of a shrug.

"That's the thing.... My parents did the same exact shit.... They thought their decisions benefited me somehow, and it all almost cost me my life..." I said, getting up and pacing a bit.

"Your parents only cared about themselves, M," Sharise said. "You said it yourself, they even tried to pay bail for that bastard's bail after he almost killed you....."

I sighed. "I... I don't want to be like them.... I rather die than ever fucking up my kid..."

"Okay, MJ, you are not your parents at all," Vince said in a stern voice. "Hell, for all we know, you were probably adopted."

"Vince!" Sharise scolded him in a hushed voice, as not to wake Skylar.

"What? It's true, Sharise," Vince said.

"Well, he could be right, I wouldn't put it past me if they bought a kid just to torment into adult hood," I sighed.

"Look, MJ, you are not going to be like your parents, you never were to begin with. You're actually a good person, who cares so much for others, even puts others before yourself. Hell, you're almost about to pop a kid you could have lost a third time and should be in bed or something, yet you're right here with us..... Does that sound like something your mom would have ever done for anyone?"