Chapter 44

I looked down at the field as the teams were announced. Laxus was going up against Alexei from Raven Tail. I had a feeling we'd face off against Raven Tail, but I couldn't help but be extremely curious of who was behind that mask.

"Good luck! You can do this Laxus!" Mira encouraged, a grin on her face as the lightning dragon slayer walked onto the field.

"I have no doubt that he'll win this thing" Gajeel says as he looks down.

"Obviously, I mean. This is Laxus after all" Cana says with a grin, but I couldn't help the sinking feeling I had. I hoped my gut instinct was wrong, but I knew that they wouldn't play by the rules. I mean, Fairy Tail is now watching their team closely, but even that didn't help with this feeling. 

As the match began, Alexei moved quickly and landed the first attack. I watched with wide eyes as Laxus was sent back. Whoever this person was, all that armor wasn't slowing them down. It was one attack after the other, and Laxus was hit with each one. Not to mention he wasn't even able to retaliate. 

"No way, he's losing!" Cana exclaimed, equally as shocked as I was. 

"How strong is this guy?" Gajeel questioned, his voice one of clear surprise. 

I didn't want to watch the battle at this point with how bad Laxus was losing, but I couldn't take my eyes away, nor could I lose faith in him. 

"Come on Laxus!" I called out, clenching my fists as I watched the battle. With what seemed to be a sudden burst of strength, he broke out of the pattern and knocked away Alexei.

"Finally" Gajeel says, and I could hear slight relief in his tone. Cana and Mira looked on at the battle silently, though their previously worried expressions turned into ones of relief. As Laxus continued to attack, I still couldn't stop the sinking feeling I had. Something was seriously wrong with this battle.

"Do any of you know if Laxus changed his fighting style recently?" I ask the others, my eyes not leaving the battle.

"No, not that I know of" Mira replied as I feel her eyes on me.

"Why the sudden question?" Cana asked and I shrugged, focusing on the battle.

"I don't know. The way he's fighting. It's different from before." I mumbled, my mind going back to his fight with Hades and even when we all fought Acnologia. Laxus landed another attack on Alexei, though something was different. As the smoke cleared, I noticed Alexei's armor took no damage, and he quickly retaliated with a powerful attack that put Laxus on the losing end again.

How strong is this Alexei guy? To be able to take on Laxus and make it look easy. I mean, I'd get Erza and maybe Mira, but Laxus is crazy strong in comparison to them. He's probably only weaker then Guildarts and Master Makarov, and this guy is making him look like an easy fight.

As Gajeel started complaining about the battle, he interrupted himself with a sneeze, causing the rest of us to look at him oddly.

"Come on, don't tell me I'm coming down with a cold" He says and I roll my eyes.

"Nah, someone's probably just talking about you" I tease, trying to lighten up the situation slightly. Though, it was inevitable that I returned to watching the battle only to see Laxus on the losing end. It wasn't like him to go down that easily. 

The battle continued, with Laxus only getting a few moments to attack before returning to the losing end. Though, as the battle was nearly a loss for us, there was what looked to be a rip in the air. Some kind of shield cleared and the previous battle we were watching had vanished. Instead, it was replaced by Laxus standing victor over not just Alexei; who was revealed to be Ivan, but every other Raven Tail team member. I looked over at where Raven Tail should of been, only to see them disappear.