eight

"Are you staying for dinner, Jisung?" Aera asked from the kitchen, seeing the two finally made their way downstairs

He awkwardly bowed in her presence once more, cracking a small smile. "I'm fine, Mrs. Baek." He continued walking towards the door.

"No, you should stay! I cooked extra just for you." she insisted, approaching the boy. He scratched the back of his head, not wanting to reject her offer once more.

"I really have to get going, my family expects me home." he chuckled awkwardly. Aera's face lit up, going back to the kitchen to grab something

"I'm sorry about her, she loves when guests stay for dinner." Seorin sighed, too tired to say anything else.

"Who wouldn't want me to stay?" Jisung smugly smirked, gaining a punch on the arm from her.

Aera returned with a tupperware filled with a meal to go. "Tell her I said hi and that I miss her dearly." she handed over the container to him with a note on top, making his mouth open agape.

He gulped nervously, taking the food into his hands. "Uh, thank you." was all he managed to choke out. He gave them a brief wave goodbye and exited briskly, getting hit by the crisp air as he walked outside.

His eyes fell over the sticky note placed on top of the container, her neat handwriting printed a surprising name. A mix of wonder and nerves built up in him, taking slower steps as his house approached quickly. He fumbled with his keys before unlocking the front door, greeted by a near empty house.

"Mom, I'm home!" his voice rang.

Routinely, he made his way upstairs to her room, dimly lit with just a candle burning. He kneeled at her bedside, switching on the lamp to get a better view of her.

"Hi, sweetie. Why are you home so late?" her hoarse voice greeted him, placing a warm kiss onto his forehead.

"I had a project, so I went over to a classmate's house." he briefly explained, looking down at the container in his hands. "By chance, do you know Mr. Baek's wife?" he asked, hesitance laced with his tone.

Jihyeon's eyes lit up at the mention of their name. "Aera? Oh, I miss her so much." her smile was filled with sorrow, reminiscing about their old friendship.

"Wait, you mean to tell me you visited the Baek's?"

Jisung nodded, puzzled at her enthusiasm. "Oh, she told me to give this to you and that she misses you..?"

Aera took the container in her hands, eyeing the food inside. "Wow, my favorite! I'm surprised she still remembers." a joyful giggle escaped her lips, proceeding to read the note placed on top.

More curiosity grew in Jisung, wondering why she acted so happily at the mention of the Baek family. It heavily contrasted with his father's attitude towards them, displeased with their entire existence.