fourteen

"Hey, Uncle Jin!" a cheerful voice rang in the shop, making the two boy's heads turn upwards

"Ah, our lovely Seorin!" the jolly old man grinned catching the sight of his nephew's best friend. Mark approached her, welcoming her in with a side hug.

"What's up?" he asked, expecting that she wouldn't come in for medicine.

She looked at her palm for a moment, then flickered her vision back up to him. He furrowed his eyebrows, concerned with her extended silence.

"I got a pretty nasty burn on my hand, do you guys have any cream for that?"

His eyes widened, defensive instincts overtaking him instantly. "What?! Did something happen? Which one of those ass-"

"Chill out, no one hurt me." she lied through her teeth. Mark was still skeptical, holding his worried gaze.

Seorin cleared her throat, buying time to come up with an excuse. "I-uh, burned it myself. I was curling my hair and I... accidentally grabbed the hot part instead of the handle." she explained, cursing herself for making her out to be stupid.

Mark stifled his laughter, looking at her slightly curled hair from sleeping in a bun the night before. "Well, you clearly suck at doing your hair." he teased.

She punched his arm, immediately regretting it as her fresh scar began to ache. "Just get me the damn ointment, dickhead." she grumbled. He let out his melodious laugh, going into the aisles to grab what she needed.

"Is he saying my hair is ugly?" she pouted to herself, playing with the long strands falling onto her shoulders.

He efficiently made his way back to her, the same tube Jisung had bought in his hand. "I believe customers usually buy this one, I don't know." he mumbled, handing it over to her.

"I trust you, I guess." she shrugged placing it onto the counter.

Uncle Jin scanned it, printing out her receipt as she paid. "Ah, I have a customer who buys this often." he hummed, making her eyebrows crinkle together.

"Well they must have some back luck with fire if they're constantly buying burn ointment." she chuckled, thinking it'd be a weird regular purchase.

"It's someone you two might be familiar with, actually." he said, leaning on the counter.

Mark raised an eyebrow, already knowing who he was about to say. "Park Jisung?"

Uncle Jin nonchalantly nodded, making Seorin's eyes widen a fraction. "P-Park Jisung?" she repeated.

"Yeah, he bought some yesterday. He looked really out of it." Mark scratched the back of his head. "Why are you so... concerned?" he questioned.

Seorin gulped, knowing she couldn't explain why she saw him the night before. "Uh, nothing. You just wouldn't expect a prodigy to have trouble with fire." she shrugged it off.