thirty four

"How were your tests?" Mark asked as he restocked the shelves

Seorin exhaled deeply, already over the topic. "It's whatever, I'm just glad it's done."

"Well, now that it's done, how about we go to a party? NCT is throwing a Halloween themed one in two weeks." Mark grinned leaning towards her, looking at her with sparkling eyes. She rolled hers in response, pushing his head backwards.

"Maybe Hyerin would, but you know what happened last time I went to a party." she recalled the night she'd rather forget, shuddering at the thought.

"Come on, Rin. That was almost two years ago, he was an asshole anyways." Mark frowned, hoping she would've moved on by now.

"Alcohol just doesn't mix well with me, you know water shifters have the shittiest tolerance." she continued giving him excuses.

"Whatever, I'll pick you up anyways. You're not in a relationship anymore, you don't have to worry about anyone but yourself." Mark shrugged, making her eyes widen a fraction.

"Mark!" she whined. "Halloween is in three weeks, isn't it a bit early?" she bit her lip.

"Seorin, when you're in a frat, Halloween is every weekend of October." he smirked, knowing his liver was about to get fucked up for the next month. Seorin rolled her eyes once more, mentally scolding him for his college drinking habits.

"Please, Seorin? You can invite any of your friends." he pleaded, practically begging on his knees.

She bit her lip, looking up at the desperate boy. A small sigh escaped her lungs, sighing in defeat. "Fine, only if Hyerin and Jaemin come."

Mark paused, processing what she just said. "Wait, I'm not sure about Jaem-"

"You said any of my friends." she smirked, making Mark silence himself.

The classic jingle from the entrance rang, cutting of their conversation.

"Hello, welcome to Lee Jin's." Mark sang, not looking up at who it was.

Jisung rolled his eyes at the sound of his voice, walking up to the counter. "Good evening, Mr. Park." Uncle's voice was heard from the back of the store, making Seorin's head snap up abruptly.

She turned her head through one of the aisles, seeing the familiar figure standing near the cash register. Before she could make her way over in his direction, Mark pulled her by the wrist, making her pause in her steps.

"I think he's getting the prescription." he whispered almost inaudibly, making her eyes widen. The two sat behind a shelf staying as quiet as possible, praying the sound of Uncle Jin's old tunes would hide their breathing.

"How is she?" Jin picked up the orange translucent bottle.

A distressed breath left Jisung, following with a sad smile. "Hasn't gotten out of bed in the past two weeks."